• Help Support TNDeer:

President's Island Quota Hunt 2024

No exaggeration; hearing full autos is a nightly thing in Memphis. My buddy has a business downtown and he has bullet holes all over his roof. I'd definitely be carrying all the time.
I come there for work and stay in Olive Branch normally but did Southaven the other week since I had to be in Horn Lake. Normally have multiple pistols with me when there.

What are the top 5 gross scoring bucks killed there is past 5 years?

Is it really worth it? I wish you all the best but I have not seen anything worth the trouble or wait! My $.02.
Cant speak for everyone but for many its not about the top 5 gross scoring bucks from the last 5 years....its more about no other WMA's interest them...many hunt private every season and dont put in for any quota hunts...but they will put in when its most likely the majority of bucks taken will make P&Y....plus for many its only a couple hours or less from home vs an out of state hunt...so to summarize...verses putting in for no WMA hunt...Presidents Island is worth it...just to have a chance to hunt somewhere different for a few days in December.

Cant speak for everyone but for many its not about the top 5 gross scoring bucks from the last 5 years....its more about no other WMA's interest them...many hunt private every season and dont put in for any quota hunts...but they will put in when its most likely the majority of bucks taken will make P&Y....plus for many its only a couple hours or less from home vs an out of state hunt...so to summarize...verses putting in for no WMA hunt...Presidents Island is worth it...just to have a chance to hunt somewhere different for a few days in December.
THIS!!!

Each to his own! I'm not an archer anymore….but I am pretty sure that if I was that I would have a decent chance to find a 120" buck or two on a quota WMA while waiting 13 years.

I hope all get a big one and have the hunt of your dreams. The anticipation just knowing you have the tag is worth the dreams and motivation over the next few months. :)

There should be more opportunities for archers across the state! The state parks should have controlled hunts. They do it all the time in other states.

They should have a hunt at Shelby Farms. Lots of opportunities if those in control wanted to offer it.
They need to. The deer density there is insane. Our office is on the Agricenter property and one evening counted 139 deer in one field.

There should be more opportunities for archers across the state! The state parks should have controlled hunts. They do it all the time in other states.

They should have a hunt at Shelby Farms. Lots of opportunities if those in control wanted to offer it.
Yes there is public land all across this state that could have opportunity but does not. I theorize it's an issue with cross agency collaboration with TWRA being quasi independent from the other agencies that own the land with opportunity. There are many many archery and gun opportunities that could be made available safely. Those of us that hunt these opportunities in other states see it clearly. I provide recommendations on this every year but there's always this disconnect between TWRA and the rest of the state organizations. Maybe one of these days.

When I went back in 2010, it was a 50 hunter draw. Back then we got drawn with 6 points and thought that was a lot. Have 14 now. Mebbe next year.

I saw one busted up giant with enormous main beams that no longer qualified, and one outstanding buck that I missed. I think I have him patterned, so maybe I can get him next year! 😬

When I went back in 2010, it was a 50 hunter draw. Back then we got drawn with 6 points and thought that was a lot. Have 14 now. Mebbe next year.

I saw one busted up giant with enormous main beams that no longer qualified, and one outstanding buck that I missed. I think I have him patterned, so maybe I can get him next year! 😬
Send me GPS coordinates and I'll check on him for you this year.

Pi may still be the best hunt in the state but the odds of success just keep getting lower. It probably takes the deer about 5 minutes to figure out that it's on! I know for Ensley, as soon as they start hearing trucks, mature bucks start running over the levee. They should have reduced the number of hunters and given them a week to hunt instead of 3 days. There's a reason why any big game guided hunt is at least a week. Generally you only get a few good weather days to hunt.
Would be cool for them to open up a few extended quota hunts like Kentucky does. Maybe not that long, but 100% agree with you.

I'd love to hear any advice people have who have been there.

I got drawn this year for the Oct hunt, had 10 points. It seems 10 years ago I was putting in for the Dec hunt and a couple years ago changed it to Oct, but have no recollection of why I did that, and then just kept putting in for whatever I had previously. Regardless of which is better, October it is.

I don't really know anything about it, so no clue where to try and go, etc.

I got drawn this year for the Oct hunt, had 10 points. It seems 10 years ago I was putting in for the Dec hunt and a couple years ago changed it to Oct, but have no recollection of why I did that, and then just kept putting in for whatever I had previously. Regardless of which is better, October it is.

Unfortunately, I think the Dec. hunt is the one you wanted with about 14 points! But, you do get first dibs. I hope you get a big one!

I'm not much help other than to say that time of year find the food.

I don't want to be Debbie downer but I went on the October hunt 2 years ago if I remember correctly and it sucked! My buddy and I hunted Friday and Saturday then got up Sunday, loaded our 4-wheelers and left. I inadvertently picked October and messed up as I had always put in for December but they had eliminated the Ensley unit and I screwed up. Hunted the Ensley unit in December 2008 and didn't kill anything but had a great hunt and saw lots of deer.

@Spurhunter was on the same October hunt and may pipe in here too. I think his son saw a really nice 8 but had to watch him walk by.

I've hunted the December buck hunt 3 times. I would love to have full access to hunt the Island all season, any weapon. Hoping to kill a legal buck during the peak rut with archery gear iover a three day hunt with one scout day and explosive hunting pressure is truly trying to catch lightening in a bottle. I quit applying after my disappointing 2016 hunt for several reasons.

I will give this advice…head to the river with everyone else…that's where most bucks I have been aware of are killed. Lots of nice ones seen all over the Island tho.

Latest posts

Back