• Help Support TNDeer:

President's Island Quota Hunt 2024

Well, I had 13 preference points going into this year, but I still did not get drawn for President's Island December quota hunt. I now have 14 preference points. I am curious who all got drawn for the late December hunt, and how many preference points you had coming into this year? I am pretty confident I will get drawn for sure next year with 14 preference points.

On another note about President's Island, it appears TWRA increased the hunter quota from 30 total to 50 beginning this year, so now all those of us that have waited years to get drawn now have to contend with more hunters. It will be much more crowded for everyone now on this hunt. The increase helps more people get drawn every year of course, but kind of sucks for the ones that have waited 13-14 years to now have to deal with almost double the amount of hunters.
I got drawn for the December hunt with 13 points. I have never been to PI, but, have heard some stories.
I am open to any suggestions on how to have a good hunt!
Would a ground blind be effective, or do I need to learn to climb a tree, again?

I got drawn for the December hunt with 13 points. I have never been to PI, but, have heard some stories.
I am open to any suggestions on how to have a good hunt!
Would a ground blind be effective, or do I need to learn to climb a tree, again?
I'd recommend a saddle or lock on with sticks. Tons of trees aren't climbable with a normal climber. Good luck!

Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay? Is there any camping close by, or better getting a hotel in downtown Memphis

Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay? Is there any camping close by, or better getting a hotel in downtown Memphis
I got a hotel near downtown and somebody tried to break into my truck the last day of my hunt. I recommend getting a hotel in Southaven, MS. It's an easy run up the interstate from there.

Do not…I repeat..DO NOT stay in downtown Memphis. We stayed in Southaven and drove over every day. Unless something has changed you can camp on the island at the entrance and twra is there all the time. Had ours been the December hunt I'd probably do that but being it was October I wanted a shower.

For the guys that got drawn this year (or the last couple of years as a matter of fact)....please post up after the hunt and let us know your experience. I am in my 50's and have 4 points built up and not sure I want to wait around for another decade. But the flipside is....there is only a one or two other quota hunts that appeal to me. So that is why I keep putting in for PI

I drew in 2022 with 12 points and I seen lots of deer , the biggest while I was hunting was a 140 nine point. A buck that looked to be in the 150s crossed road in front of us on scouting day. When I started buying points it took 7 to draw but point creep ruined that. As I look back , although I enjoy hunting anywhere, I wouldn't start buying points again. It's a great place but nothing like Kansas or Iowa. And Kansas I can usually draw every other year . Iowa is 4 years for bowhunting. Here in Oklahoma we have some wmas that u can bowhunt all season that have some bucks just as good as presidents Island. Not the numbers of deer but some great mature bucks. A 178 was killed off the wma here by house.

Well, I had 13 preference points going into this year, but I still did not get drawn for President's Island December quota hunt. I now have 14 preference points. I am curious who all got drawn for the late December hunt, and how many preference points you had coming into this year? I am pretty confident I will get drawn for sure next year with 14 preference points.

On another note about President's Island, it appears TWRA increased the hunter quota from 30 total to 50 beginning this year, so now all those of us that have waited years to get drawn now have to contend with more hunters. It will be much more crowded for everyone now on this hunt. The increase helps more people get drawn every year of course, but kind of sucks for the ones that have waited 13-14 years to now have to deal with almost double the amount of hunters.
I got drawn for the December hunt with 13 points. I am very disappointed with the increase in number of hunters, as well. I guess I will go with a positive attitude, however, I hate crowded hunts.

I got drawn for the December hunt with 13 points. I am very disappointed with the increase in number of hunters, as well. I guess I will go with a positive attitude, however, I hate crowded hunts.
My one quota hunt to oak ridge where I had multiple people walk under me and 3 people climb after daylight within 50yds of me was enough to make me not want to do any crowded hunts

My one quota hunt to oak ridge where I had multiple people walk under me and 3 people climb after daylight within 50yds of me was enough to make me not want to do any crowded hunts
Yep, I have pretty much stopped going on public hunts, unless a small quota. Too many people that are inconsiderate and idiots to hunting etiquette.

Do you know if President's Island have restroom/bathhouse facilities for hunters that are camping there during hunt? Thanks

I drew in 2022 with 12 points and I seen lots of deer , the biggest while I was hunting was a 140 nine point. A buck that looked to be in the 150s crossed road in front of us on scouting day. When I started buying points it took 7 to draw but point creep ruined that. As I look back , although I enjoy hunting anywhere, I wouldn't start buying points again. It's a great place but nothing like Kansas or Iowa. And Kansas I can usually draw every other year . Iowa is 4 years for bowhunting. Here in Oklahoma we have some wmas that u can bowhunt all season that have some bucks just as good as presidents Island. Not the numbers of deer but some great mature bucks. A 178 was killed off the wma here by house.
I got drawn for this October hunt, planning on camping, do you know if the camping area have bathroom facilities for campers? Thanks

I got drawn on the October hunt, do you know if they have bathroom facilities for hunters that are camping? Thanks

Back