• Help Support TNDeer:

Productive Day

Looks great man!
Sorry I didn't get to send you a picture I got knocked in the head by an impressive case of strep throat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen some in bait shops that were painted white about 3/4 up the sides. Is there a reason they would do that. Also I see some type of wood chips in the bottom along with the egg cartons and paper tubes for the crickets to seek shelter or a hiding place. Not sure on the numbers of paper roll's and egg carton sections to put in for a couple thousand crickets. I will install a lightbulb fixture for heat as soon as tomorrow and I get back into town to pick on up. Going to cut out a section of the lid and put plexiglass maybe 10x10 so one could see inside. Also some foam insulation to solid seal where the top meets the main box. I want it to be as waterproof as possible even tho top and bottom are made from treated 3/4 plywood. with the sides made from 7/8 inch OSB.
First time trying to do something like this and any help or suggestions are welcome....Thanks Ben

Every box you order will come with some egg crates.
That and a couple paper towel rolls is all I ever used.
I also had "windows" on each side and top made from screen door material.

Oh and the white paint I always heard it was slick so they can't climb to the top but dunno if that's true or not.
I didn't paint mine.

RUGER":9kllv7j1 said:
Oh and the white paint I always heard it was slick so they can't climb to the top but dunno if that's true or not.
I didn't paint mine.

pawpaw used to paint those 5 gallon buckets about half way down or they would crawl out.

I did a screen opening on one side for vent. But kept the cutout so I can put it back up if cold weather comes. Put some thin foam strips along the edges and front to seal it up better. Painted the inside partway down with light grey deck stain. Ordered 1000 large crickets a bit ago. We will see how it works out.

Ready for the crickets that should be here tomorrow.
The window screen vent and inside. Put pine chips in for now until I find something better. I read where you can raise your own and what to put in as nest material but have yet to find that. I figure with ordering large crickets some have to be of egg laying size. Who knows it might work if not this year but start early next. And if my health holds and I make it I will bring a lot to Reelfoot to share next year.

Big Ben":2ii7sf9u said:
Ready for the crickets that should be here tomorrow.
The window screen vent and inside. Put pine chips in for now until I find something better. I read where you can raise your own and what to put in as nest material but have yet to find that. I figure with ordering large crickets some have to be of egg laying size. Who knows it might work if not this year but start early next. And if my health holds and I make it I will bring a lot to Reelfoot to share next year.

if you want to raise your own, pawpaw used sand for nesting material. you have to have water for them to drink(wicked from cheesecloth) and the sand also has to be damp before the females will lay. you could use dirt and you would be able to check for larvae easier than sand. i cant remember the temp you have to keep it to trigger them to lay. like i said previously, he used a couple of 5 gallon buckets for laying and then transferred to his big cricket box.

Latest posts

Back