• Help Support TNDeer:

Pushing the limits?

PalsPal

I was very surprised at Herbstreit being as critical as he was of OK faking the injury early in the game.

And apparently, they did it on most of the plays after we had made a first down.

Then you have the condition of the playing field. It was obvious that it was intentionally allowed to grow, and maybe even watered extra, to slow us down, and it worked.

But, Heupel does similar. We have an injury on the PAT a lot of times after we've scored. And it's obvious that he does it to give our defense another minute or so to rest.

And I've also noted that there have been instances where, if the opposing offense has substituted a player, that we will do so also and the guy being replaced just casually walks off of the field causing the play clock to almost run out.

We've talked before about the fake injuries. The only real way to reduce it is to make the "injured" player sit out the remainder of that possession.

Yeah, bottom line is every coach is going to push the rules to the limit when trying to gain an edge. I do chuckle though when Heup makes other teams burn a TO when substituting on defense. And yes I HATE when other coaches do it to Tennessee. Nature of being a fan I guess

A full possession might be a little extreme. Heck that can last half a quarter if there are multiple first downs. Maybe the remainder of downs for that possession? Its nothing new, teams were doing it back in 2002 against Auburn under Gene Chizik.

A full possession might be a little extreme. Heck that can last half a quarter if there are multiple first downs. Maybe the remainder of downs for that possession? Its nothing new, teams were doing it back in 2002 against Auburn under Gene Chizik.
I thought the same thing but heck if you really are injured you aren't or don't need to come back in for a good while and it sure would stop a lot of the fakers which is 50% of the injury timeouts now

I thought the same thing but heck if you really are injured you aren't or don't need to come back in for a good while and it sure would stop a lot of the fakers which is 50% of the injury timeouts now

Sometimes players just get the wind knocked out of them or legit cramps. I think 2 plays or maybe the set of downs would put a stop to some of it. However, it is hard to prove if you legitimately do or don't have cramps or some other kind of minor injury. That's probably why the issue hasn't really been addressed. Its not always as obvious as the case Herbstreet pointed out on the Sooners.

The "injured" player should sit until a change of possession in the name of "player safety" since that seems to be most important these days. Why a guy can lay there for 10 minutes and delay the game, get up and run off the field, and be back in the game on the following play shouldn't ever be a thing but it happens in most games. It's another form of cheating.

I was very surprised at Herbstreit being as critical as he was of OK faking the injury early in the game.

And apparently, they did it on most of the plays after we had made a first down.

Then you have the condition of the playing field. It was obvious that it was intentionally allowed to grow, and maybe even watered extra, to slow us down, and it worked.

But, Heupel does similar. We have an injury on the PAT a lot of times after we've scored. And it's obvious that he does it to give our defense another minute or so to rest.

And I've also noted that there have been instances where, if the opposing offense has substituted a player, that we will do so also and the guy being replaced just casually walks off of the field causing the play clock to almost run out.

We've talked before about the fake injuries. The only real way to reduce it is to make the "injured" player sit out the remainder of that possession.
Coach buying time on an extra point does nothing to alter the other teams pace. The "walking substitution is because the offense subs so late and they have to give the defense time so he walks on as there isnt anything that says he has to run. The late sub can be avoided by the offense subbing asap or not subbing at all.
There is no way for TN offense to avoid the other team flopping all the time.
One situation is self inflicted and the other is not.

They talked about this on the call in shoe this morning.

I think back to the Ole Miss game at neyland a few years ago. It happens but honestly- if you go down twice in a quarter, I think you are out for a half- and if you go down 3 times, you are out for the game.

That may help it.

I think that field condition was a new level though. Borderline unsafe.

The rules call for the defensive team to complete the substitution "promptly" when the offense is being held up to give the defense an opportunity to substitute. I don't know how the refs make a judgement. Maybe it is one of those deals where you don't know how to define it but you know it when you see it.

Oh I'm not knocking Heupel for doing it. In fact, I think it's genius.

OK field situation doesn't really bother me. Stuff like that has been going on for years.

The fake injury does need to be addressed.

The "injured" player should sit until a change of possession in the name of "player safety" since that seems to be most important these days. Why a guy can lay there for 10 minutes and delay the game, get up and run off the field, and be back in the game on the following play shouldn't ever be a thing but it happens in most games. It's another form of cheating.
This^^^ If they are all about player saftey like thet preach a kid flopping around on the ground holding a limb should have to miss more then 1 or two plays period. That #95 went down for Oklahoma 3 or 4 times Saturday. If the kid is that banged up set him down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back