• Help Support TNDeer:

Question

I'm no biologist, nor do I play one on TV. but being as the females are the brood fish, I'd say more females would be better. Fish are like any other creature, genetics play a major role in how they grow. The alpha males will continue to be dominant. The more females, the more eggs, the more fish, the more chance for dominant fish. Make sense?

I'm no biologist, nor do I play one on TV. but being as the females are the brood fish, I'd say more females would be better. Fish are like any other creature, genetics play a major role in how they grow. The alpha males will continue to be dominant. The more females, the more eggs, the more fish, the more chance for dominant fish. Make sense?
I think I could make the argument for either one being more numerous for successful spawning. Just interested to see if anyone knew any specifics. Might even vary according to the species.

i think it would depend on species. lmb females will spawn with multiple males, but once a male spawns he is on the nest protecting fry for a month and will run other spawning females off. the same for other sunfish species, particularly bluegill. the bull males control the size and gentetic structure of the colony.

in salmanoids, the big females seem to run the show:

and in the case of black sea bass, females can become males and vice versa, which would make them hermaphrodite.

Back