• Help Support TNDeer:

Quic Quiz

Bow Hunter said:
Looks like a deer to me.
And that's really all that can be said with certainty.

Based on just this single pic (one angle, one view), we have a disadvantage in guessing compared to actually seeing this deer in the field and studying it.

In the absence of other deer, harder to determine its size, especially if (via this pic) you have nothing else for a size comparison. And if determined to be a fawn, is it male or female?

All I can say is that male fawns seem to have a genetic disposition to "be first" into an open area or field ahead of their mommas or other deer. The probability that this is a male fawn is high.

But an even higher probability is that Bowriter is up his usual trickery! :D

Andy, the lack of leaves on trees, and lack of any new growth on trees, would suggest a timeframe between December and February, which is a time most male fawns commonly stand as tall or taller than their mommas. This would also be in the timeframe to see an adult buck with shed antlers, although Bowriters question ruled out that possibility with "doe or buck fawn".

Wes Parrish said:
...would suggest a timeframe between December and February...
What I initially thought, was just soliciting more data as I always do. :grin: Date of pic was Jan 14, 2012. My guess based on the date, one deer in frame, what appears to be a short face, hind legs longer than front ones (the jacked up look of an old 1980 Chevelle), and "clean" tarsal glands is a 7 month old button buck. Based on the date alone, I would not shoot just to be on the safe side.

doe......imo, the hindquarters look more pronounced and thusly more like a doe than a young buck who's body should be more level (front to back) and more evenly proportioned as in the front and back similar in size........

just an educated (by experience alone)guess...lol.

bowriter said:
Button buck is the correct answer. healthy one, too.
For those of us heavily into deer management, one of the sad realities is that the button bucks more likely to be killed while thought to be a doe ---- they are the largest bodied ones.

Their larger size is often a combination of both a genetic tendency to be larger and/or being born early. Being born early bodes well for larger antlers, even if average antler genetics. I've seen button buck fawns in TN field dress at close to 80 lbs! and when standing beside their momma, you might think the momma was the fawn.

This is part of the reason many "hunter-managers" prefer deer season to not go so far into January (in TN), since it's much harder to distinguish a button buck fawn from an adult doe come January.

bowriter said:
That is a mid-january picture, by the way.
Noteworthy that so many experienced hunters were quick to assume this was a "doe". And it's because it's just very hard to distinguish a healthy button buck from an adult doe at this time of year (mid-January). Heck, I often have trouble in November.

IMO, we would improve buck:doe ratios if deer season ended sometime in December instead of sometime in January.

Which one is the doe? Picture was taken Jan 10 of last year.

A2012WO060.jpg

Yep, one of them is the one in the top picture. The other is his brother. I believe one is a six and the other may be either a seven or an eight this year.

You are dead on Wes.
I can't tell you how many times I have heard "I thought it was a doe or I never would have shot it".

I've done it myself more than once, EVEN at close range with a bow.

Buttons are just hard to see sometimes.

But they sure do taste good and have some REALLY GOOD big buck attraction qualities in their pee.

Latest posts

Back