• Help Support TNDeer:

Quic Quiz

Wes Parrish said:
bowriter said:
Button buck is the correct answer. healthy one, too.
For those of us heavily into deer management, one of the sad realities is that the button bucks more likely to be killed while thought to be a doe ---- they are the largest bodied ones.

Their larger size is often a combination of both a genetic tendency to be larger and/or being born early. Being born early bodes well for larger antlers, even if average antler genetics. I've seen button buck fawns in TN field dress at close to 80 lbs! and when standing beside their momma, you might think the momma was the fawn.

This is part of the reason many "hunter-managers" prefer deer season to not go so far into January (in TN), since it's much harder to distinguish a button buck fawn from an adult doe come January.

that is why i feel they should count as a buck tag. to make the hunters learn how to ID

redblood said:
that is why i feel they should count as a buck tag. to make the hunters learn how to ID
The unintended consequence of doing this is that hunters can all but stop killing does, from the fear they might kill a button.

And it's not an unjust fear because it can be very difficult to impossible to rule out a button in a high percentage of opportunities that present for taking antlerless deer.

Latest posts

Back