• Help Support TNDeer:

quick question about stand placement

lol

I'm wondering if anyone has set a stand up on the top of a ridge facing down. My concern is that the height plus the slope might create too much angle looking down the hillside and just wanted to get some thoughts before I put it up and regret it. I'm wondering if it might be better to come down a little bit from the top or if that would just expose us to any deer that might come over the top. What I'm trying to accomplish is to watch the oaks between the top and bottom of the ridge to catch deer feeding.

I hunt Campbell County (steep) quite a bit and this is how I generally set up. I like being able to watch down the mtn (preferably in a bowl or where a secondary ridge comes in) so I can see the contour trails and benches where deer are likely to travel. You just need to keep the wind/thermals in your favor.

I hunt Campbell County (steep) quite a bit and this is how I generally set up. I like being able to watch down the mtn (preferably in a bowl or where a secondary ridge comes in) so I can see the contour trails and benches where deer are likely to travel. You just need to keep the wind/thermals in your favor.
Gotcha. I've got a property line on the top of the ridge with wma on the downhill. Deer have been moving between wma and my property via this ridge. I'm wanting to set up on the line so I can hunt WMA or private depending on what's open that week.

Depends. If you're using a bow then yeah you need to factor shot angle.

Also if you're going to be hunting mornings and are above the ridge crest then until 9am ish your thermals will be falling down each side of the hill, potentially spooking both sides. Same applies to late afternoon after sun drops below the horizon.

That said, every situation is different. Really the only way to find out is to hang and hunt. See what happens. If you need to make an adjustment then do it. I'm always moving stands around. Just part of it.

Where I hunt (ridge-and-hollow terrain), each ridgeline will have a topographic crest (the highest point on the ridgeline), as well as two "military crests" paralleling and on either side of the topographic crest. The "military crest" is the topographic feature where the ridge suddenly breaks over and becomes steep. It is called the "military crest" because it is where you would need to build a defensive trench from which a soldier can see all the way down the hillside.

The military crests are where we place our stands. They will be high enough to cover the top of the ridge, but also see all the way down the adjoining hillside. I also find that bucks - especially older bucks - like walking these military crests instead of the topographic crest.

Where I hunt (ridge-and-hollow terrain), each ridgeline will have a topographic crest (the highest point on the ridgeline), as well as two "military crests" paralleling and on either side of the topographic crest. The "military crest" is the topographic feature where the ridge suddenly breaks over and becomes steep. It is called the "military crest" because it is where you would need to build a defensive trench from which a soldier can see all the way down the hillside.

The military crests are where we place our stands. They will be high enough to cover the top of the ridge, but also see all the way down the adjoining hillside. I also find that bucks - especially older bucks - like walking these military crests instead of the topographic crest.
This ridge unfortunately doesn't have a military crest other than a small maybe 30x30 area on the northern point but I've had a buck bedding there recently and I'd rather not set up in his bedroom. At the bottom is a large creek with some thickets on the other side, on top is s large flat with thick pine. The ridge between is hardwoods with an elevation drop of about 80 ft to the creek below.

Depends. If you're using a bow then yeah you need to factor shot angle.

Also if you're going to be hunting mornings and are above the ridge crest then until 9am ish your thermals will be falling down each side of the hill, potentially spooking both sides. Same applies to late afternoon after sun drops below the horizon.

That said, every situation is different. Really the only way to find out is to hang and hunt. See what happens. If you need to make an adjustment then do it. I'm always moving stands around. Just part of it.
No good way around the thermals but at least the prevailing winds run directly towards the face of the ridge. I'm still trying to figure out how to hunt this property without alerting deer and I'm not sure I'm going to really be able to based on how its laid out, unless I get someone to drop me down from a helicopter.

Back