• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Rain chance

NChunt1

I see the forecast for this weekend is lowering the amount of rainfall they are now calling for. Tuesday is showing 0.6in. what do you guys think about the forecast for east TN for the next 10 days, is this going to be the best weekend to plant ?

Models this morning were a little more promising. All three models increased the amount of rain over the next 10 days. The Canadian has 1.83" at Jackson and 1.09" at Nashville. The European has 0.71" at Jackson and 1.19" at Nashville. The American (GFS) has 2.33" at Jackson and 0.53" at Nashville.

Models this morning were a little more promising. All three models increased the amount of rain over the next 10 days. The Canadian has 1.83" at Jackson and 1.09" at Nashville. The European has 0.71" at Jackson and 1.19" at Nashville. The American (GFS) has 2.33" at Jackson and 0.53" at Nashville.
So what do you think BSK is this weekend gonna be the most promising weekend to plant ? Considering planting into dust it can't be much worse

I have both tractors ready. Seed ready and drag ready. Plots are already disced up. We are planting today- for our area. We have / chance this weekend a better chance next week. I figure the seed can lay for a week with no issue. Last 2 yrs i waited till september/october snd got zip

So what do you think BSK is this weekend gonna be the most promising weekend to plant ? Considering planting into dust it can't be much worse
I think it's a real risk planting now, but honestly, I don't think things are going to get better. Very long-range models suggest dry conditions will persist into November, especially for West TN.

I think it's a real risk planting now, but honestly, I don't think things are going to get better. Very long-range models suggest dry conditions will persist into November, especially for West TN.
Fri - Mon here around Watts Barr Dam, it's about a 25% chance and about a tenth each day. Tues/Wed, it's 60% chance and an inch cumulative. I was planning on broadcasting the seed and mowing Thursday, if it's wet I can't get the mower to the plot. Should I fertilize at the same time, or would it burn everything if we don't get more than 1/10 by Tuesday?

Forecast I looked at this morning gives a slight chance for thunderstorms on Saturday and Sunday, gives better chances for rain on next Tuesday. About 30 minutes north of Jackson. I may broadcast some clover on Saturday. Then add water to the pool, wash my truck, and water garden.....

Fri - Mon here around Watts Barr Dam, it's about a 25% chance and about a tenth each day. Tues/Wed, it's 60% chance and an inch cumulative. I was planning on broadcasting the seed and mowing Thursday, if it's wet I can't get the mower to the plot. Should I fertilize at the same time, or would it burn everything if we don't get more than 1/10 by Tuesday?
Never waste money on fertilizer until after you know you have a good stand established

Models this afternoon are looking better.

I'm rolling the dice and planting the 6ac in plots I sprayed last Fri. Will spray the remaining ground tomorrow in anticipation of planting before the 2nd rain event next Tues. I'm willing to replant the first 6ac late Sept if needed. We NEED a tropical system to form in the gulf and move up!

Mowed last week and going to spray tomorrow. I'm hoping to get back within a day or so and plant before rain which is forecast for several days next week. Timing is critical to avoid what happened to me last year about this time. The rain came a day earlier than expected and caught me disking and planting in mud. Trying to drag and then cultipack mud is an exercise in frustration. If you're familiar with the rolling up snow to make a snowman technique then you can Envision what happens with mud and a cultipacker.

I planted last weekend and going to finish up Friday morning. Keeping my fingers crossed for the forecast.

I'm not sure what the NWS is seeing, but models have backed WAY off on rain for midweek next week. They've increased rain amounts for this weekend, but then don't have that Tuesday/Wednesday rain anymore. The models don't have rain again (for West TN) until the following weekend.

Yes, it's looking like no rain after this weekend for at least a week. The tropical low that was expected to form in the gulf and move up to TN isn't going to materialize after all.

I dug a hole to set an anchor post for a new shoothouse last weekend. Didn't hit ANY soil moisture until over 30in deep.

Back