• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Rain chance

I have had good luck as well with plots I was finishing up in the rain. I will likely be pushing a spreader for this though, could be interesting if it's muddy.
šŸ¤®

Get a Spintech spreader, believe you could spread in a monsoon and seed would be dry.

IMG_20240814_143357793_HDR~2.webp

Last edited:
I still think this midweek rain most of the Accuweather type software products are suggesting is way overoptimistic, but we shall see. If we get it, I'll be dancing a jig.
This evening I'm seeing an increasing chance for sig rain Sunday, none next week, but a decent chance Sun the 8th.

But those are the same models that said 7d ago the 3rd of Sept was going to be a huge rain event from a tropical system moving north from the gulf.

It's all a crapshoot...

But for sure, there is a front coming thru TN late Sat/ Sun which has the real potential to produce half to 1in rainfall.

If all I was planting was wheat, I'd hold off till early Oct. But I really need time for the radishes and clover to get established before first frost, so I'm under the gun.

This evening I'm seeing an increasing chance for sig rain Sunday, none next week, but a decent chance Sun the 8th.

But those are the same models that said 7d ago the 3rd of Sept was going to be a huge rain event from a tropical system moving north from the gulf.

It's all a crapshoot...

But for sure, there is a front coming thru TN late Sat/ Sun which has the real potential to produce half to 1in rainfall.

If all I was planting was wheat, I'd hold off till early Oct. But I really need time for the radishes and clover to get established before first frost, so I'm under the gun.
I have waited until late September/ early october to plant wheat and rye the last 2 yrs. Both times i was rewarded with extended drought. I have planted 8 of 10 plots this week. Hoping for a couple showers. Did all the brassicas today. We will seee

It's all a crapshoot...
With the broad rain-shield precipitation events we get November through March, the models are getting pretty darn good out to 7 days. However, once the precipitation becomes almost strictly convective (spotty showers and thunderstorms), there is too much randomness in their development to forecast which house will get rain and which won't.

.............there is too much randomness in their development to forecast which house will get rain and which won't.
Yesterday afternoon I got 2.35" in little over an hour, while my buddy 5 miles east did not get a drop. He could see rain all around him, in various directions, but it all missed him.

Yesterday afternoon I got 2.35" in little over an hour, while my buddy 5 miles east did not get a drop. He could see rain all around him, in various directions, but it all missed him.
My property is a mile north to south. I've seen situations where one end of the property got enough rain in a thunderstorm to turn the roads to quagmires, yet the other end of the property was still a dust bowl.

Looks like front is stalling, but mid week rain appears to be getting better.
That's really strange, because none of the models have that mid-week rain. They hint at some tropical moisture coming up from the Gulf, but it raining out in northern AL/MS.

One thing we all need to keep in mind is the potential rainfalls from hurricanes. Good chance of one in the gulf around Sep 9-10 and then the beginning of October looks like a big one. We may or may not get rain from them, but they are perfect for planting ahead of.

Oats and clover in a little plot this morning, done. Started lightly drizzling on me while I was rolling the oats in with my little Kubota bx, think I got them covered enough that hopefully the turkeys don't eat the seed. Was still drizzling while I hand crank broadcast the clover in, stopped about the time I got back to the house. Hopefully will get more light rain before any of the heavy thunderstorms come in a couple days.
20240831_102407_HDR.webp

Back