• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Rain chance

Finally got rain yesterday but still having to watch my seed get un-planted.
1000014701.webp

I reseeded and tilled back in last Tues. Rained Thurs-Sat here. Got back from my work trip and rode back to check it out. It's really turned on since the rain. The clover I planted 4 weeks ago that I didn't know if it germinated or not is taking off as well. So I'm assuming the first 50 lbs of oats germinated too and I reseeded 50 more lbs.
20240918_170139.webp

Rain chance next Tues/Wed is very iffy for West TN, but much better for East TN. Still assessing the rain chances the following Saturday. That one will depend on the development of a hurricane in the Gulf (which all models are showing but they each take it in a different direction).

My Buckwheat and Crimson Clover germinated after those tropical rains. The Buckwheat is just reaching the growth stage where deer can get at it, and traffic in the plots has exploded since then. Wed/Thurs I mowed all the crabgrass and foxtail that has taken over the plots down to the level of the new Buckwheat. I also sprayed to kill the grasses (Clethodim). We'll see how this goes in the next couple weeks. I will add cereal grains to the plots just before the next good rain.

The 4" we got last round really helped. This is from wheat/oats drilled, then 10 lbs of clover mixture in perrennial clover plots

Attachments

• IMG_0090.webp
    IMG_0090.webp
    364.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0091.webp
    IMG_0091.webp
    339.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0093.webp
    IMG_0093.webp
    346.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0094.webp
    IMG_0094.webp