rifle caliber deer cape buffalo

Huntaholic

If you can afford to hunt Cape buffalo in Africa, surely you can afford two rifles. It's insane to carry a rifle that big and heavy with no possible ability to shoot any further than 100 yds for deer size game. Come on man! 😀
Thats where youre wrong brother! Ive shot my 375 H&H out to 400 yards and its pretty dang impressive!

Huntaholic

I have this much committed to memory: from a 100 yd zero, 16 clicks or 4 MOA puts you dead on at 300. Id have to pull the rifle out of the safe and check the charts to get you the 400 yard zero, but that should give you an idea.

fairchaser

I have this much committed to memory: from a 100 yd zero, 16 clicks or 4 MOA puts you dead on at 300. Id have to pull the rifle out of the safe and check the charts to get you the 400 yard zero, but that should give you an idea.
Depends on the bullet BC and speed but your talking around 8-10 MOA of drop at 400 yds. That's 32-40 inches. Lots of possibility for error. But hey, to each his own!

19_A_CPT

Revive this Zombie Thread

375 H&H or a 9.3x62 is about what I would consider almost overkill for deer, black bear. Perfect for Moose, Grizzley, Browns.. Capable of decent range for Elk.. smallest calibers allowed for Dangerous Game.

With projectiles from 240 grain to 300 grains in a variety of bullets available, you can basically custom configure your rifle based on your intended target.

Iglow

I read in a book one time about a Cape buffalo hunt where the buffalo was knocked down with a 460 Weatherby but got back up and then was shot multiple times with that same rifle, absorbing 60,000 ftlbs of bullet energy and was still on his feet. I believe I'd plan on the buffalo first and assume it would be enough for deer after.

Remi

I know nothing about hunting bufflers but some guys in this thread had success.

19_A_CPT

Id be surprised if any outfitter would allow anybody to shoot that far; they are very conservatively minded over there.

With that being said, your longest range options that will effectively do the job is the 375 H&H, 9.3x62 but 500 yards is even pushing them.

I plan to go in '26 after a Cape Buff with my 458 Win Mag but im hoping to close the distance to 50 yards to keep it interesting.

But the 375 H&H and the 9.3x62 are both great historical rounds fwiw

DaveB

I've never been to Africa but if I was going after something big as a Cape Buffalo I think I'd want at least a 416 of some kind probably a Brno 602 416 Rigby
Take the Rigby.

Deer are about size relative to a Cape Buffalo as a mouse is to a Fayette County doe. Two rifles. One the Rigby, Other, must be 100 choices.

For argument sake, say a 300 WinMag with 200 gr partition/solid at 110 yards and the Buffalo knows you are there. I am not gonna stand behind you, that's for sure