• Help Support TNDeer:

Seeking input on boat purchase.

nate17

I am considering purchasing a boat and I've never owned a boat so any input from those that have would be greatly appreciated.

I enjoy fishing recreationally and I would use the boat for hunting access on both lake and river. I am not a huge fan of jets. They seem loud and obnoxious to me and I think I will spend the majority of my time on a lake. I have a wife and a 2 young kids that would be on the boat with me on occasion, but most times it would be 1 to 2 people. I want aluminum, and I have been kinda drawn to models similar to a Lowe Roughneck.

My biggest dilemma is what size should I get? I would like the boat to be large enough to haul a family of 4 on occasion, fish a couple 200lb guys, but small enough that access for hunting isn't a problem and using smaller ramps is on the table. Is that an 18/60? 17/54? What is the sweet spot on size for that range of use? If not a Lowe, what other manufacturers should I consider? Any suggestions on motor size? Should new vs used be a consideration? Anything I am overlooking?

Thank you for any suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.

I have a Lowe Roughneck 1754 with a 30hp 4 stroke Mercury that I use basically just like you described and it's perfect to me. Mine is a stick steer, so it's set up a little different from normal boats, but I love it.

What lakes/rivers do you plan to run? A jet rig is somewhat specialized but it can go where nothing else can on rocky rivers. They're terrible on big water v hulls, but v hulls are a bear to get shallow enough to hunt out of or load deer into.

I have a 16/50 with an 40 and it's a great 2 man fishing boat. I use mine very similarly to how you are planning to do. It's a tiller set up, similar to the Lowe Roughneck line. I can haul my family of 4 but it would be very hard to bass fish 3. If you go with that model I'd plan to build a hatch to extend your back deck all the way to the transom.

Bigger boats will handle rough water better.

18/60 with the biggest motor it's rated for….. lot of great aluminum boat manufactures out there. I would stay clear of carpet if hunting out of it.
I run a 16/54 alweld with a 90/65 jet because of the shallow waters near me.

18/60 with the biggest motor it's rated for….. lot of great aluminum boat manufactures out there. I would stay clear of carpet if hunting out of it.
I run a 16/54 alweld with a 90/65 jet because of the shallow waters near me.
I have low knap outdoor carpet from Lowe's or HD in mine. I like it for hunting- doesn't get slick with muddy boots or rain and stays cool in the summer. Washes down pretty easily

What lakes/rivers do you plan to run? A jet rig is somewhat specialized but it can go where nothing else can on rocky rivers. They're terrible on big water v hulls, but v hulls are a bear to get shallow enough to hunt out of or load deer into.

I have a 16/50 with an 40 and it's a great 2 man fishing boat. I use mine very similarly to how you are planning to do. It's a tiller set up, similar to the Lowe Roughneck line. I can haul my family of 4 but it would be very hard to bass fish 3. If you go with that model I'd plan to build a hatch to extend your back deck all the way to the transom.

Bigger boats will handle rough water better.

Good questions that prompted some additional thought. I don't live in Tennessee anymore. I live in SE Missouri. We have plenty of shallow rocky streams near where I live, however there isn't a ton of public land to access from them. There is more public surround lakes and rivers that should be plenty deep enough to run a prop so I think I'll spend more time there. The shallow streams are also very popular float streams and crowded which isn't my style.

I was considering maybe a modified V. Do you feel that would present any challenges to drive up on to a bank and tie off and leave it for a day while I hunt?

Good questions that prompted some additional thought. I don't live in Tennessee anymore. I live in SE Missouri. We have plenty of shallow rocky streams near where I live, however there isn't a ton of public land to access from them. There is more public surround lakes and rivers that should be plenty deep enough to run a prop so I think I'll spend more time there. The shallow streams are also very popular float streams and crowded which isn't my style.

I was considering maybe a modified V. Do you feel that would present any challenges to drive up on to a bank and tie off and leave it for a day while I hunt?
Mod v would be my hull choice with either motor type. It might float 2" deeper than a flat bottom but the ride and handling is better. Should plane about the same with either.

honestly, you probably need 2 different boats.

One for family and fishing with an outboard.

A second more specific boat for the river.
Depending on river depth and underwater obstacles you may need to have a mudmotor for the river. The TN or MS river you could probably be fine using the same boat.

The river I run for hunting is extremely low on water right now.

no, I think a V hull should be fine. If it's rocky, I'd recommend a hull saver strip on the keel in the front to add protection from rocks.

BOAT....BRING ON ANOTHER THOUSAND ($)
Cheaper than chicks……
Watched untold doctors wished they had spent thousands on boats instead of nurses and 3 or 4 marriages

G3 or War Eagle with a Yamaha and it will last all your life. Search on BoatTrader.com

Good luck

Last edited:
Putting the family in it, the wider the better. I have a 16 48, and I wouldn't want any smaller to have a couple people in. With just me, I could probably get away with a 14 48, but I kinda like what I have.

Used, hands down.
Have owned quite a few over the years. Financially, the worse deals were the new ones I bought. Couple a years ago I bought a 16' deep V Tracker from a member here. Best deal ever, even after I spent nearly as much on new electronics as I did the boat, still less than 5K in it. Even if it doesn't get used much, it's sitting in shed whenever grandsons or I want it without a ton of money in it.

I am considering purchasing a boat and I've never owned a boat so any input from those that have would be greatly appreciated.

I enjoy fishing recreationally and I would use the boat for hunting access on both lake and river. I am not a huge fan of jets. They seem loud and obnoxious to me and I think I will spend the majority of my time on a lake. I have a wife and a 2 young kids that would be on the boat with me on occasion, but most times it would be 1 to 2 people. I want aluminum, and I have been kinda drawn to models similar to a Lowe Roughneck.
L
My biggest dilemma is what size should I get? I would like the boat to be large enough to haul a family of 4 on occasion, fish a couple 200lb guys, but small enough that access for hunting isn't a problem and using smaller ramps is on the table. Is that an 18/60? 17/54? What is the sweet spot on size for that range of use? If not a Lowe, what other manufacturers should I consider? Any suggestions on motor size? Should new vs used be a consideration? Anything I am overlooking?

Thank you for any suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.
i have a nice 648LDV War Eagle i will sell you.

I had a 1654 lowe roughneck with a 50 merc, i actually just sold it.

Great size boat fun to drive easy to load and would hold it own in rougher water. I ended up doing a little work to the motor and i could run 40 in it. I have had 4 people in it and it still would run 34ish.

Latest posts

Back