• Help Support TNDeer:

Smoked Beef Short Ribs

Lt.Dan

Made up some great Short Ribs last night. A simple rub of kosher salt, black pepper and garlic. Three and a half hours on the smoker with Hickory and Mesquite. Tender and delicious.
20240727_153505.webp
20240727_173242.webp

I keep wanting to try beef ribs, but I have a hard time justifying the price for the amount of meat. But I:m just a tight wad
They aren't that expensive. Less than pork ribs usually. Depends on the cut. Mine came from a half a steer, and only got the short ribs. I should have asked for the brontasuarus ribs cut. They are huge.

I keep wanting to try beef ribs, but I have a hard time justifying the price for the amount of meat. But I:m just a tight wad
Come up off that wallet, they're worth it!! Choke the heat back to 200-220, keep a small water pan, think tuna can size for steam.
For the last hour or so roast off some tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and tomato paste and fresh herbs in a shallow pan with the ribs and some red wine.
Use some of the demi gloss to top the ribs with. Debone into a smaller pan.
Add the bones to the veg and cover with water in a stock pot and bring to a boil, then simmer until reduced to half.
Run through a sieve and strainer and make a couple of quarts of stock for later, freeze into one cup portions for chili or stew or gravy.
Forgot to add, be retired and make it an all day deal!!
Tomorrow, ........you start with a chicken...........Next week, seafood and shrimp stock. Gumbo always starts with a roux!!!! Get to eating!!!!
Retirement does not suck if you do it right !!!!!!!

Me too. Was in a place this summer that had them on the menu as a special. $36 for a rib. Granted it would have been enough meat for two people easy, but dang.
Being retired since 2015, we don't eat out as much since 2021. I have a wonderful wife, awesome cook and she deserves a dinner out periodically.
Took her to Red Robin in Colorado Springs after grocery shopping. Had fish and chips and ice tea. $50!!!
BTW: I really do prefer baby back ribs. Sams usually has them at $2.98/lb.
But those short ribs look delicious.

Being retired since 2015, we don't eat out as much since 2021. I have a wonderful wife, awesome cook and she deserves a dinner out periodically.
Took her to Red Robin in Colorado Springs after grocery shopping. Had fish and chips and ice tea. $50!!!
BTW: I really do prefer baby back ribs. Sams usually has them at $2.98/lb.
But those short ribs look delicious.
Mine is the same. She cooks 75% of the meals. I cook the other 25%. Friday and or Saturday is when we typically grab something out.

Mine is the same. She cooks 75% of the meals. I cook the other 25%. Friday and or Saturday is when we typically grab something out.
I'm ashamed to say it, but she cooks/bakes 99.999%. She's Italian, and that's her kitchen.
I have to have a passport to get in there 🤣

Latest posts

Back