• Help Support TNDeer:

Something about !

BOW SEASON! Gotta love it.

picsfrom2010and2011deerseason032.jpg

Andy S. said:
rem270 said:
Last yr on opening day of ky i quit counting at 8 am at i think it was about 93 shots.
WOW! I bet I did not hear many more rifle shots than that all last season and I hunted a pretty heavily hunted area of west TN with very liberal doe limits. Sounded like a war that morning huh?

Oh man it sounds like WW3 every year on opening day lol. Every remotely close shot i always wonder if they get the buck i was after lol. Luckily this year they didnt!

For me, "real deer season" is the first time I get in the stand and click that nock onto the Mathews...probably gonna have at least 7-8 on the ground by MZ season...I don't hate MZ or rifle but I GOTTA be in the woods as soon as they'll let me which the main reason I first started bow hunting and after about 15 yrs of it, to say I'm addicted would be an understatement!!!

.....if you're not bow hunting then your are seriously missing out!!!!!

BowGuy84 said:
Andy, if you have never hunted KY gun season, you have no idea how quickly daylight deer movement can be shut down. A lot of people take that week off hunt 9 days straight, after a couple they start roaming, and a lot are not scent concious.

And that's why I hate short gun seasons. EVERYBODY hits the woods hard the whole time. Daylight movement is over within 48 hours.

BSK said:
BowGuy84 said:
Andy, if you have never hunted KY gun season, you have no idea how quickly daylight deer movement can be shut down. A lot of people take that week off hunt 9 days straight, after a couple they start roaming, and a lot are not scent concious.

And that's why I hate short gun seasons. EVERYBODY hits the woods hard the whole time. Daylight movement is over within 48 hours.

Not always true. I always take atleast one week off during gun season and last yr and this upcoming year i have the whole rifle season off. Out of the 16 days rifle is open i bet i see deer atleast 14 of them. I killed my biggest buck to date last yr about 60 hrs after season had opened on a monday afternoon. And my dad killed a 7.5 yr old buck the last saturday of gun season.

In all the years I gun-hunted KY, no one in my group ever killed a good buck after opening weekend. We rarely even saw any deer after opening weekend.

redblood said:
bow season is an excellent time to hunt.....squirrels
I agree, and squirrel hunting is an excellent way to increase one's overall hunting skills while doing some serious scouting for better times to be deer hunting.

I just can't get real excited until that first frost of the fall --- which is commonly in late October --- that's when Mother Nature officially declares the opening of "Deer Season"! Do love to bowhunt, but it's all about the timing.

But, yes, I'll be bowhunting on the opening day of archery, and probably regretting that I didn't go squirrel hunting instead! :D

rem270 said:
BSK said:
BowGuy84 said:

Not always true. I always take atleast one week off during gun season and last yr and this upcoming year i have the whole rifle season off. Out of the 16 days rifle is open i bet i see deer atleast 14 of them. I killed my biggest buck to date last yr about 60 hrs after season had opened on a monday afternoon. And my dad killed a 7.5 yr old buck the last saturday of gun season.

True it isn't always so and I noted with habitat management and hunting pressure changes bc of this my experience has changed...the pressure put out early in gun season in a lot of areas of ky ends deer season for many who aren't as fortunate. Never experienced this in TN.

Latest posts

Back