• Help Support TNDeer:

acorn drop timing

Non existent mast crop, drought ruined food plots, native browse absent …
Gonna be rough overwinter in some areas. It would be a good year to thin them doe!
This is me as well. Been dry since early June. The hurricane rain was sucked up in just a few days. Ground is very dry here. Pretty sure it will flood in Dec or Jan though.

Here in Meigs county, they are apparently still on the Chestnut oak acorns. I put a "rut movement" cell cam out in a pinch point. The area has 1 white oak and several chestnut oaks. They should have been done with the chestnut acorns weeks ago but, they're hitting em hard and the white oak hasn't dropped much if any. Btw saw 3 big rubs, those are the first real rubs I've found. I've found over 10 scrapes do things are changing.

Here in Meigs county, they are apparently still on the Chestnut oak acorns. I put a "rut movement" cell cam out in a pinch point. The area has 1 white oak and several chestnut oaks. They should have been done with the chestnut acorns weeks ago but, they're hitting em hard and the white oak hasn't dropped much if any. Btw saw 3 big rubs, those are the first real rubs I've found. I've found over 10 scrapes do things are changing.
Is that White Oak carrying acorns?

BSK,
I honestly didn't have my glasses or more importantly no binocs so I didn't try to look. There are white oaks on the woods edge that are loaded here. I took a chance last evening to hunt a couple white oaks that deer usually prefer on my farm and there was no acorns in the trees or on the ground and there had been none. I'd grade the chestnut oak production as a C- mainly for much smaller than normal acorns. The white oaks are extremely spotty, some with a lot and others apparently none.

BSK,
I honestly didn't have my glasses or more importantly no binocs so I didn't try to look. There are white oaks on the woods edge that are loaded here. I took a chance last evening to hunt a couple white oaks that deer usually prefer on my farm and there was no acorns in the trees or on the ground and there had been none. I'd grade the chestnut oak production as a C- mainly for much smaller than normal acorns. The white oaks are extremely spotty, some with a lot and others apparently none.
I'm just hoping there might be some Whites still hanging on to their acorns and they have yet to start falling.

Latest posts

Back