• Help Support TNDeer:

Stripe run?

jakeway

"Normally" the Stripe run starts about the time the dogwoods are in bloom. With this crazy warm winter, will there even be a normal spawning run? Did I already miss it?

i dont think so. water temp got to be up steady around 60 deg and then they still have to have longer daylight to trigger the spawn just like sauger and you have to have a good current flow. it might shorten it by a week or two. i used to take some vacation days to catch the run around the 3rd week of march for pickwick tail waters fom diamond island to saltillo. aint no way im gonna fish the dam when they have the generators running like the rest of those fools, lol, i dont care how big of fish they catch.

pressfit":1buzb49u said:
We were catching them on Wilson lake last weekend

yall done well then. one of the guides at pickwick said they were all over the lake and river but were harder to catch right now. he said in the next few weeks it should get easier to catch the bigger and more fish. said they are catching some on deep cranks, but i always used live crawfish on a carolina rig in the river for white bass and big spoons below the dam for big stripers.

I like to catch them on a flyrod with sinking line and small shad-colored streamers like Clouser Minnows. One day a few years ago they were hitting so hard and fast I caught 13 fish on 14 casts.

You can load the boat with them on KY lake rite now in no time. We catch 2-3 stripe for 1 bass throwing swim baits for bass. Pick up a jigging spoon and pull one up every cast. Of course you have to be on them but there easy to find with electronics.

TRIGGER":3n5rol0p said:
You can load the boat with them on KY lake rite now in no time. We catch 2-3 stripe for 1 bass throwing swim baits for bass. Pick up a jigging spoon and pull one up every cast. Of course you have to be on them but there easy to find with electronics.

are they stripers or the smaller white bass? white bass can be caught all year long along the ledges, but the only time ive caught the bigger stripers is in the mouth of big sandy (in that section of ky lake) usaually a week or two in march and it only lasted for a week or so.

WTM":3egducui said:
TRIGGER":3egducui said:

are they stripers or the smaller white bass? white bass can be caught all year long along the ledges, but the only time ive caught the bigger stripers is in the mouth of big sandy (in that section of ky lake) usaually a week or two in march and it only lasted for a week or so.

Yes striper along with white bass and yellow bellies.

Latest posts

Back