• Help Support TNDeer:

Summer Nights

MidTennFisher

I realized last Summer that fishing for Bass or anything else in TN waters isn't enough fun to put up with the blazing heat and party crowds on the lakes and rivers so I stuck to fishing at night. This could mean eating an early dinner and fishing until just after dark or going after dinner and truly night fishing until early hours of the morning. I've spent most of my nights in the Caney, at various locations, throwing jerkbaits.

Normally I'd attach some pics but don't feel like resizing them from my phone. I've landed a lot of quality Browns and PLR Rainbows. All on jerkbaits. Rattlin Rogues and X-Rap seem to be the top producers. I've also sent some nice Walleye from the cold water to hot butter. Biggest Brown so far just a hair under 20". When I finally break that 24" mark it, too, will be headed for hot butter.

My current goal is learning how to catch Rockfish in there aside from waiting for several days worth of generation to bring them up to the dam. I want to figure them out way downstream where they normally are. I ventured out that way Sunday evening throwing the same swimbaits I'm always using and had some success. Landed one, had one follow.

Don't let the heat and the party crowds hamper your Summer fishing. The best fishing is done at night any time of the year but it's even more fun to do in the Summer so you're not freezing and wet. Some do it in Winter but that's not my cup of coffee.

I mostly fish for bass myself. I fish chickamauga most of the time. It's hard for me to go through the week and the weekends are crazy. Pleasure boaters galore and lack of respect at the boat ramps has pushed me to fish at night the last 3 weekends. This past Sunday I put in about 5 and fished till midnight and only seen a few boats after 7 or so. I had my best nighttime trip yet with around 20 pounds with my best 5. Chickamauga is capable of alot more, I just don't have the skills yet. I was a little nervous traveling the first night but I bought a led Maglite to help see the channel markers. I think it's pretty safe to say that I'll be doing a lot more night fishing till summer is over.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mike Belt":ylp7mwm1 said:
I've tried full moon summer night fishing and haven't done any good yet.

I tried that last Summer on a full moon night with a friend. We caught plenty of bass but not a single fish on topwaters. Everything was on jigs, plastic worms, and crankbaits and all of our fish came from fishing under docks on Old Hickory - the same stuff we'd do in the middle of the day in Summer. Odd how that worked out for us because I see a lot of my friends going out on full moon nights and doing well with frogs and other topwaters. I typically don't like to fish the day after a full moon. The fish feed all night and aren't really aggressive the next day.

I really do like this Summer night fishing though. It's peaceful out there after dark!

I fished Guntersville during the blue moon in august last year and had a ball catching them on spinnerbaits! That was my first time night fishing that lake saw 2 other boats all night!

They have been mauling a blade on center hill the past 2 nights, specifically smallmouth. Caught well over 30 each night between my partner and I. Never even picked up a jig or worm rod.

Bass fishing, especially catching for quantity, is the absolute best in the middle of the hottest days and the more boats the better. I HATE the heat more than anyone, but it can sure make for great fishing, especially bass.

Headhunter":2jlxhs2u said:
Bass fishing, especially catching for quantity, is the absolute best in the middle of the hottest days and the more boats the better. I HATE the heat more than anyone, but it can sure make for great fishing, especially bass.

The way you do it is tough in a kayak though. It's hard to stay on deeper schools of fish, especially with heavy boat traffic around. It makes me too nervous. Deep cranking is really hard in a kayak too unless I anchor

Headhunter":1a29nfr2 said:

My best days on the lake have also been the hottest. Days you feel like your catching fire and can't breath lol.

As far as night fishing KY lake is on FIRE at night. Saturday night 28 lbs won a local tournament with 27.5 coming in second. Numbers like that is when you know there on em. Black spinnerbaits on flats. I'm going Friday night and possibly tomorrow night.

Kevin":2eckvamr said:
There was a good number of folks who were fishing Normandy on Saturday night.
I was there Friday night and am going back tomorrow.

Jimmy if you're up for it, I will be on the lake from tomorrow afternoon until early Sunday afternoon. Bringing live bait and setting limb lines, fishing for cats an walleye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back