• Help Support TNDeer:

TARP Rock Bass….

View attachment 234216

Yep, two different fish…

Sometimes a person's location has a bearing on what a fish is called..
Where I grew up (N. Al ) we call a warmouth a goggle eye or a rock bass…

Kinda like a crappie being called crappy or speck 🤷‍♂️
the anal fins are the key to identifying sunfish. all lepomis and micropterus will only have 3 anal spines.

1070758D-4F01-4949-8670-ACDE38F3F1AA.jpeg

I think what we call warmouth in this area actually are green sunfish.
Could be, warmouth resemble red eye and a green sunfish looks like a sun fish with a larger mouth and vivid green color. They’re cool fish

We have tons of red eyes here in our smallmouth rivers and they’re a nuisance. Don’t fight and just waste time. Hard to hate on them thkugh, they’re always willing to eat a bait

Could be, warmouth resemble red eye and a green sunfish looks like a sun fish with a larger mouth and vivid green color. They’re cool fish

We have tons of red eyes here in our smallmouth rivers and they’re a nuisance. Don’t fight and just waste time. Hard to hate on them thkugh, they’re always willing to eat a bait

sometimes depending on color phase. sometimes they can be dull and look like rock bass.

Attachments

• IMG_1485.png
    IMG_1485.png
    790.2 KB · Views: 2

We have a lot in our small mouth streams as well and some big ones. I always xonsidered them good fighters and excellent table fare. The state record rock bass came from the stones river just down the rd. We catch alot of big ones (over a pound).

We have a lot in our small mouth streams as well and some big ones. I always xonsidered them good fighters and excellent table fare. The state record rock bass came from the stones river just down the rd. We catch alot of big ones (over a pound).
Those are giant. Ours are pitiful, hit like a truck and then literally go on their side and just ski in on their side. Some of our smallmouth rivers are loaded with them, you could catch hundreds a day if you targeted them

Caught a tarp rock bass at Tims a couple years ago while crappie fishing. Thought I had a pic but can't find it.

Well in all respect my father inlaw whom I loved dearly called them Saturday night drunks, I will pass that on till the end 🤣

A Warmouth hits good, but then pretty much gives up. All of them I’ve ever caught were a dusky brown color with some lines around their mouth, and the mouth is pretty big for a panfish.

I caught a bunch of “red eye bass” in the Stones River in the Murfreesboro area when I had a job down there several years back. They’re pretty good fighters on a fly rod.

Latest posts

Back