• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Thankful

deerhunter10

Went and check our plots for the first time since we planted them at our furthest farm. I was worried about army worms. But so far we are lucky. Top dressing them as soon as we get rain in the Forcast with fertilizer. Not our prettiest plots we didn't bush hog at all this year just sprayed and kept as much thatch as possible to keep moisture when we drilled. Nice to see hard work come out of the ground. Our clover is still pitiful but bouncing back some.

The rains from Francine and Helene saved us. My plots don't look anywhere near as good as they have in wetter years, but considering the conditions, I'm pleased. At least we have plots. Many don't. Our Crimson Clover is really filling in, forming a solid ground mat. Normally, it would grow 8-12" tall by mid-November, but considering the very poor local acorn crop, I think the deer are going to keep it mowed pretty tight to the ground this year. Deer feeding activity in the plots has gone sky high since the plantings have grown tall enough for deer to eat.

The rains from Francine and Helene saved us. My plots don't look anywhere near as good as they have in wetter years, but considering the conditions, I'm pleased. At least we have plots. Many don't. Our Crimson Clover is really filling in, forming a solid ground mat. Normally, it would grow 8-12" tall by mid-November, but considering the very poor local acorn crop, I think the deer are going to keep it mowed pretty tight to the ground this year. Deer feeding activity in the plots has gone sky high since the plantings have grown tall enough for deer to eat.
Ours are getting hit hard to. I'll be glad when we get a frost and army worms are not an issue. That was my biggest fear.

Back