• Help Support TNDeer:

Thoughts

OakHillHunter

I generally don't ask about age and score, but this deer has me generally curious of the age of this buck. I have my thoughts on his age but I'd like to see if that lines up with others. This buck is a product of some management practices we have implemented on our small acre lease. I'll try to upload the video later.
20240920_210556.webp

I wouldn't even dare try aging him from that pic. Needs to be more broadside. But there are some clues. His head to body ratio is pretty big and ear to head ratio pretty big as well. That usually indicates a younger deer, but grainy night pics with infrared lit edges can be deceiving. Still yet I'm going to tentatively guess no older than 3.5yrs until I see a daylight broadside pic that changes my mind.

Furthermore, I don't get excited about antler size until I see bases that equal or surpass ear bases, which is about 4.5"-5". I don't see many P&Y racks with measurements smaller than that. This deer is smaller but likely due to width alone and tine count would reach the 125" P&Y threshold.

If this were the only pic I had I'd tentatively conclude he was a very, very promising young deer that if given safety and nutrition could be world class in time. I say tentatively because with only this one grainy night pic to go by it's really just an experienced guess.

Looks like a pretty buck, bad angle to guess an age and score though. I can't tell for sure if he is a 9, looks like it. With no more than that I would guess he is at least 3.5, and conservatively guess a score of low to mid 120's.

Latest posts

Back