• Help Support TNDeer:

Trolling motor battery ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
When I got my new trolling motor, a 12 volt 54 pound thrust Motorguide, I just went to walmart and bought a battery.
Wasn't a deep cycle or anything, just a regular, rather large CCA battery.

It has been a good one but this year I have noticed that it doesn't have the "pep" it once had, even when fully charged.
I also noticed it takes a LONG time to get a full charge on it.

The battery has been used quite a bit and charged a BUNCH of times over the last 2 years.

$100 for 2 to 2 1/2 years isn't too terrible I wouldn't think.

I am, however, thinking about upgrading to a deep cycle, maybe gel ? battery this time.

1) What is the "best" trolling motor battery out there?
2) How much do they cost?
3) Is it worth the extra cost, in terms of performance and longevity?

You need a deep cycle because if you deep cycle a regular starting battery, it will wear it out to the point it won't hold a charge anymore. I just use a stowaway Exide from academy it's affordable and holds a good charge

Sent from the talk of tap

The most important part is getting a quality smart charger and keeping it plugged up between fishing trips. Minn Kota makes a really good one. Shop other brands HARD on the internet for performance reviews, a lot of other brands get very mixed reviews.

I ran cheap batteries in my bass boat for many years. 2 years was a good run. Finally got a smart charger and began getting 4 solid years of performance out of a trolling motor battery. You will notice a difference in a deep cycle and regular cranking battery. My current battery is going on 5 years and starting to loose power. Probably last me through the end of the year though.

^^ what catman said. You want a deep cycle.

I have one from Wally World and it works fine. I've had it for over a year now and it's got just as much "pep" as it did when it was new. I don't think there's enough advantage to buying a battery that cost 2 or 3 times as much for a simple jon boat setup.

You need a deep cycle battery for a trolling motor. I have a three bank charger on my boat. I plug it in and let it trickle charge the batteries between use. I don't know how old the batteries are a I have now, they were on the boat when I bought it. They are doing fine. Just regular deep cycle marine batteries.

The last boat I had the high end gel batteries and they were not any better than the cheaper Walmart style deep cycle. I think it comes down to how you charge them if they last long or not.

The mechanic at the shop told me if you fish regularly(2-3 times a week) you did good if you get 2 years out of your batteries. Im not so sure I totally believe this because most people I've talked to said they have gotten almost double that using Minn Kota brand onboard chargers.

I've been using a size 24 Dual Purpose or Deep Cycle and they worked OK for a couple years. The last one was an Exide from Academy and it was still working strong, but it developed a slow acid leak. I kept getting holes in my jeans from rubbing against the battery when carrying it, or wiping my hands on it. It also started discoloring my boat. So I got rid of that one and got an Exide size 24 AGM sealed battery. What a difference! I was on the lake for four hours yesterday, using the trolling motor for a good deal of the time, and it still read 95% on the charger when I got home.

I also make sure to top off the charge after each use.

I heard about the Sears deep cycle so I bought one. I have since bought 3 more for my other boats. As a guide I use them and abuse them. I have tried them all but I LOVE these.....

Latest posts

Back