• Help Support TNDeer:

TWRA recommends no changes to crappie regs

I have been seeing reports that the creel limit for crappie were reduced to 20.
Any truth to that?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

yes it passed, but im not delighted with "feel good" policies by commissioners. my former district manager where i work, was a commissioner in the late 90's and early 2000 and she was pretty much a nitwit when it came to fish and wildlife management as she was a manager of the telephone network. i like sound science and data to back up decisions, and as far as im concerned, they are making a big mistake as far as one proposal is concerned but i will start a new thread for that discussion.

Doskil":25jd3g9z said:
How do you enforce a creel limit change?

It won't have much of an impact I suspect

Checks of live wells at the ramp as people are leaving I would guess.
I was checked one time like that at KY lake.
Very bad experience too. There was a TWRA agent there along with some "federal guy".
No clue why he was there but he was obviously "in charge".

TWRA guy looked at our checker, the plastic ones, and he felt of it and it was all slimey and he told the other guy, they got a checker just like ours they are fine.
Noooooooo he had to pull EVERY fish out of the live well and check every single one.

Every tried to catch 60 crappie one by one out of a livewell?
We were there for a while.

As for making a difference, to the fishermen that will obey the law there won't be any issues.
For SOME of the people that have places on the lake and SOME of the out of staters that stay multiple days at a time, they will just make more runs to the cabin during the day.
Not uncommon at all for a two man boat to make 2 - 4 trips "to the bank" with limits of fish only to return and repeat.

RUGER":n6onpnl2 said:
Doskil":n6onpnl2 said:
How do you enforce a creel limit change?

It won't have much of an impact I suspect

Checks of live wells at the ramp as people are leaving I would guess.
I was checked one time like that at KY lake.
Very bad experience too. There was a TWRA agent there along with some "federal guy".
No clue why he was there but he was obviously "in charge".

TWRA guy looked at our checker, the plastic ones, and he felt of it and it was all slimey and he told the other guy, they got a checker just like ours they are fine.
Noooooooo he had to pull EVERY fish out of the live well and check every single one.

Every tried to catch 60 crappie one by one out of a livewell?
We were there for a while.

As for making a difference, to the fishermen that will obey the law there won't be any issues.
For SOME of the people that have places on the lake and SOME of the out of staters that stay multiple days at a time, they will just make more runs to the cabin during the day.
Not uncommon at all for a two man boat to make 2 - 4 trips "to the bank" with limits of fish only to return and repeat.

yep used to see it all the time in big sandy even the bank fisherman at the canal, my idiot brother was the worlds worse. the out of towners have tripled, id say, thats why i dont fish there anymore. i saw a guy on birdsong this spring and he was keeping everything and didnt mind saying so.

Back