• Help Support TNDeer:

Ultraligjt 12g

megalomaniac

So... im thinking of finding something lighter and more compact than my 20g 870 youth for next year.

Will prob chop off anything I get to 18.5in and thread... as a result, I'm thinking I'll need a 3in 12g to produce equivalent patterns to my 21in 20g 870.

Number of shots is irrelevant. I'm fine with a single shot. I just want to know what the lightest 12g 3in chamber shotgun there is out there to see if it would shave 8 - 12oz out of my current setup.

A 10ga single shot works pretty well from what I hear.
They don't make 10g in 3in. I suppose I could custom load a 3.5in 2oz load at 1300fps, but the gun needs to be close to 5lbs. Weight is the main focus.

I don't think my current 10g autoloader can be beat for pattern density combined with velocity, but it's just too dang heavy for me to enjoy toting as few times I actually pull the trigger

This 12 ga I usta bird hunt with weighs less than 6 lbs empty.

Attachments

• IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 13

Why not a light weight, short barreled 20 if weight is truly your goal? You dont need a 12 to get what you want weight wise and pattern wise. If you truly are a 40 and under killer a tristar raptor cut down to 18-20 inches with 11/4 or 13/8 of numder 9 or 10 tss would be a light weight, great patterning , turkey killer! The youth raptor i have with 24 in barrel is barely five lbs.

Why not a light weight, short barreled 20 if weight is truly your goal? You dont need a 12 to get what you want weight wise and pattern wise. If you truly are a 40 and under killer a tristar raptor cut down to 18-20 inches with 11/4 or 13/8 of numder 9 or 10 tss would be a light weight, great patterning , turkey killer! The youth raptor i have with 24 in barrel is barely five lbs.
You may be right about sticking with a 20g chopped off to 18.5in... There isn't a lot of pattern info out there with such a short bbl, so my concern is that pattern would be marginal, and the wider shot column of the 12g would be better suited to a short barrel.

This may be the one!!!!

Cheap enough, so I don't feel guilty about chopping the bbl and stock. 4.7lbs before mods, so that should take it down to less than 4.5 lbs.

I'll see if I can feel one in person.

You may be right about sticking with a 20g chopped off to 18.5in... There isn't a lot of pattern info out there with such a short bbl, so my concern is that pattern would be marginal, and the wider shot column of the 12g would be better suited to a short barrel.
With the right choke , you will get just as good out of an 18 as you will a 24! With a 20 inch and 555 ic im getting over 300 with 15/8 9

With the right choke , you will get just as good out of an 18 as you will a 24! With a 20 inch and 555 ic im getting over 300 with 15/8 9
I haven't done a ton of patterning, but in my mind, I would have thought TSS would be MORE susceptible to overchoking in short bbls vs longer bbls? So that seems surprising a .555 would do that well in a short bbl.

I've thought a lot about this. I think the place to save weight is in the stock- not the extra 3" of barrel.

The question becomes "how to I maintain structural integrity while minimizing/altering material?"

Latest posts

Back