• Help Support TNDeer:

Vacuum sealing

Spurhunter

Anyone use a vacuum sealer for their fish fillets? Do you ever experience any freezer burn? I'd like to start doing this to save on freezer space.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re: Vacuum sealing

It's the only way I freeze fish. I've never had freezer burn on any unless the seal fails. To get a good seal, I fold a paper towel at the top of the bag to soak up any moisture and leave it in when sealing. Done this for years.

I agree. Vacuum sealing is the way to go. I have never had any issue. I keep fish frozen for over a year and they were still great when I thawed them and cooked them.

i asked the same question last year. i havent bought one yet after seeing how much bags are priced. i was thinking it may help with crappie filets from falling apart on me after frying.

RUGER":3vcpmm3s said:
Never thought of that.
Might have to do the same!!!

WTM":3vcpmm3s said:
i asked the same question last year. i havent bought one yet after seeing how much bags are priced. i was thinking it may help with crappie filets from falling apart on me after frying.

I'm glad it wasn't a stupid question. I hesitated to ask. I have always frozen my fillets in water but it takes up too much freezer space.

DennyB":26cu2hir said:
It's the only way I freeze fish. I've never had freezer burn on any unless the seal fails. To get a good seal, I fold a paper towel at the top of the bag to soak up any moisture and leave it in when sealing. Done this for years.

This is how I do it when I'm pinched for time but I would rather flash freeze them for a couple hours on cookie sheets in the freezer and then vacuum seal while frozen.

ADR":350yhngn said:
DennyB":350yhngn said:

This is how I do it when I'm pinched for time but I would rather flash freeze them for a couple hours on cookie sheets in the freezer and then vacuum seal while frozen.

Does this do away with the moisture issue?

Spurhunter":23h9sb65 said:
RUGER":23h9sb65 said:
Never thought of that.
Might have to do the same!!!

WTM":23h9sb65 said:

I'm glad it wasn't a stupid question. I hesitated to ask. I have always frozen my fillets in water but it takes up too much freezer space.

lol, im never afraid to ask a question on here. solid answers usually.

anyhoo, that was two years ago and here is my thread with some pretty good tips:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=337809&hilit=+vacuum

RUGER":1acudl4y said:
ADR":1acudl4y said:
DennyB":1acudl4y said:

Does this do away with the moisture issue?

Exactly. The folded paper towel works to catch the moisture coming out of the fish that would inhibit a good seal on most homeowner vacuum sealers.

so do the food saver vacuums take special bags or can they be generic brand bags?

im looking at a gourmia 455 now, has good reviews and say it can use"generic bags". dont know what that means.

The bags are interchangeable. You get what you pay for on these machines in my experience. I vacuum seal everything accept fish. I also have an issue with freezer space by about June. May add another freezer to the collection.

BlackEagle1":2qq0eoun said:
The bags are interchangeable. You get what you pay for on these machines in my experience. I vacuum seal everything accept fish. I also have an issue with freezer space by about June. May add another freezer to the collection.
Why not fish?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's a good question really. I have always put fish in water to freeze. The excessive moisture pulling out as you vaccum could cause issues. I guess the paper towel could solve this but seems like a Hassel when putting up large quantities.

It's my job at fish camp. I'm the filleter and then we vacuum seal them that night. They keep at least for a year.

The problem with storing/freezing in water is OSMOSIS. The water absorbs into the cells and makes most fish taste like mush overtime.

Fun times remembering this night ad libbing... buddy had just gotten a GoPro.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2-RGr_vfxLw

I use a sealer all the time as well! Works awesome but did not think of flash freezing then sealing!! Great idea
I do recommend a higher quality bag say LEM over Food Saver......I seen the difference this past deer season sealing my brats, summer sausage, snak stix.....A BIG DIFFERENCE

If you can put 4-6 decent catfish filets in a gallon bag (best I can tell in the pic) I feel like it would take a ton of bags & time. I like the idea but a lot of times I'll put up 4+ gallons at a time, and cook as much as 8 gallons at once. Could you just pile them in and seal?

Latest posts

Back