• Help Support TNDeer:

Warning: Non-Resident License Rant in Progress

rsimms

I have been on a rant with Tennessee wildlife officials after they eliminated 1-day fishing permits for non-residents, selling only 3-day permits. I made a brief little speech before the TFWC (governing body which sets license fees) last week in Crossville, TN. Then followed up with an e-mail after getting some facts and figures from TWRA. The elimination of the 1-day NR fishing permit has, of course, resulted in more (much needed) money for TWRA. However the number of non-resident fishing licenses sold last year dropped by about 15,000 (12 percent).

I argued that we are discouraging more people from fishing rather than encouraging. The only Commissioner to respond directly said, "Tennessee has some of the best fishing in the US. I see where you are coming from, but the cost of a temp license is well worth it. If they can afford your [guide] fee, they can afford our license!"

I replied, "The 3-day permit is equivalent to me telling clients, 'I know you only want to fish a Half Day, but you have to pay me for a Full Day anyway."

In the end however, my feeble voice-in-the-wilderness is falling on deaf ears. Non-residents should not expect any changes in available licenses (or costs) anytime in the near future.

Your thoughts on the matter, pro or con, are welcomed.

Attachments

• rant-warning_200.jpg
    rant-warning_200.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,526
My thoughts on this are the same as my thoughts on much of what the commision has done lately.
All about the money, sportsmen/women be dammed.

Makes ya wonder where wildlife falls in their concerns.

Sad.

I have heard, and used, the argument for years that the lack of general funds pumped into TWRA is the reason for license cost increases.
The benefit of paying more to hunt & fish here is that the politicians don't get to say where the money goes and thus benefits us all.
Seems like more and more politicians are on the twrc nowdays and we have less and less say as to where the money goes.
Makes ya wonder what the benefit is anymore.

I can't speak to where it goes, but I don't see $10 difference being the most likely reason for less licenses. I am fortunate I guess, but if someone is coming to TN to fish and can't afford $20, they probably need to stay home. It cost darn near $20 per person to go see a 3D movie and have popcorn per person. It's all about priorities I suppose.

Hozzie":2zy2tc1p said:
I can't speak to where it goes, but I don't see $10 difference being the most likely reason for less licenses. I am fortunate I guess, but if someone is coming to TN to fish and can't afford $20, they probably need to stay home. It cost darn near $20 per person to go see a 3D movie and have popcorn per person. It's all about priorities I suppose.

What about the people that come to TN not to fish but to see relatives or whatever and just want to fish while they are here?
Maybe they want to fish because it is (or was) cheaper than going to a movie and they can't afford that?

When I go on vacation I always buy a weekly non resident license, knowing that I probably will not fish every day. If people aren't willing to pay $20.50 to fish for a day, they must not want to fish that bad. I'd pay someone $30 to cover me at work tomorrow so I could go fishing and I've already paid my $160.

You also have to consider that often it isn't just one person wanting to fish. If a man wants to take his wife, that's $40 for maybe 2 or 3 hours fishing. That's just ridiculous. The state not offering a non-resident single day license for $10 or less is pathetic.

RUGER":2xihatnw said:
Hozzie":2xihatnw said:

What about the people that come to TN not to fish but to see relatives or whatever and just want to fish while they are here?
Maybe they want to fish because it is (or was) cheaper than going to a movie and they can't afford that?

I guess I go by if I can't afford $20, I probably can't afford $8 or $10. This just doesn't bother me much. I don't think $20 is ridiculous for out of state personally. Opinions vary, I get it.

I do see your point but i have a friend that lives in ky that fishes with me 4 or 5 times a year. He never fishes except for a sat or sun and never even all day. He has to pay 20 bucks for a few hours.
To your point though for that same trip i will buy gas bait snacks and drinks and spend upwards of 40 bucks sometimes. Lol so it is all in how you look at it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Please bring back the one day permit. I take friends and family from out of state alot and they where confused as well as myself as to where the one day went. I don't think having to buy a three day permit at that cost for one afternoon is right. Thank you for starting this thread. Bring back the one day permit.

For me the price increase isn't much but it's not fair to assume it's not a big deal to everyone. I fully support my license fees going towards improving our public land and fisheries but that's not the real issue here. The real issue is you should be able to pay for the services you are rendered, regardless if it's affordable for most of us or if it goes to a good cause. If you only want to fish one day you should be able to buy a one day license...period.

We've become accustomed to getting the shaft to the extent we now ask if it's affordable rather than if it's right.

My 2 cents.

not to disagree or make a argument but have you considerd the fee's other states charge us?I buy tags in 4 states KY,IL(25 years),TN and AL.All the D N R 's are ripping us new ones .twra includeed .Where im heading is if you want to play in that state you got to pay there outrageous fee 's.What guides need to help is think its called a captains lic like when i go fishing in al(deep sea) its coverd by the captain of the boat ???just my thoughts

I'd love to see them bring back the 1-day permit. When I have friends and family come in from out-of-state we normally spend a day fishing in the Smoky Mountains. TN and NC have a reciprocal agreement with fishing licenses for fishing in the Smokies. I now refer all of them to buy the NC license even though we spend 90% of our time fishing on the TN side. They can buy a 10-day NC license for cheaper than they can buy a 3-day TN license. It only saves them a couple bucks, but when they're already spending a bundle getting here, every little bit helps. TN's 1-day license was cheaper than the 10-day NC license (10 days is the shortest one they offer), but now it's gone, so NC gets their money.

The 1 day license cost the state approx. 500k per year in lost revenue. I worked for several years to help push the 1 day through. I hate it but TWRA is on such a tight budget they can't afford any losses. Believe me you do not want politicians dealing with wildlife issues. Example: recently a politician wanted to change the baiting laws for deer. This was a testy issue. What do you think could have happened if he had been able to apply more pressure to the TWRC because of funding? Just giving my two cents worth. I am not always in agreement with TWRA BUT I was in on several budget meetings and they are doing a fantastic job with the funds they do have. I know of several other states that study TWRA and the TWRC hoping to make their state agencies better.

Latest posts

Back