• Help Support TNDeer:

Warning: Non-Resident License Rant in Progress

A TN three day license is cheap compared with the cost of trip fishing licenses in the western states. I'd prefer to see them do it like ID where your first day is pretty steep, but you can buy subsequent consecutive days at a lesser cost. But, even with the reduced consecutive days cost, a week of trout fishing out there is about 2/3 of our annual NR all fish license.

So, I don't think TN is out of line towards nonresidents.

2 things stood out to me in Richards "rant"-

If they can afford your [guide] fee, they can afford our license
IMO, that is a piss poor attitude and justification for the increase.

The other thing that stood out is that 15K less NR licenses were sold= The fisherman looses.

What I find ridiculous is when my Brother, SIL and Nephew come from TX for a visit, the State thinks they should pay $61.50 to catch some Bream out of my neighbors pond.

I'm good with it. I have to pay to play when I go to other states. I'd say in reality it makes the state more money than it loses them and probably saves the majority of the people money. Most tourism for fishing I would guess is bass fishermen who would practice a day or two before fishing a tourney and would need a multi day license.

How many guys hire your people for help with a bass tourney on Thursday or Friday and then fish on Saturdays?

I think they should offer a 1 day license.

But then, I can't say much, because I've paid $22 for a 3 day license (includes year trout stamp) to fish in Arkansas the past several years. They don't offer a 1 day license, either.

I just read thru this thread, and was initially in total agreement with Mr. Simms.

But after seeing we're basically talking about now spending $20 for a 3-day license whereas the prior choice was about $10 for a 1-day license, I believe the negatives of eliminating the 1-day license are being exaggerated a bit. I admit I don't know enough about all the rationale behind this change to really say much pro or con , but it's basically a difference of $10.

Just to put a bit of a positive to all those negatives, perhaps some "visitors" might decide to fish 2 or 3 days now instead of just 1 day, since they will have already purchased a 3-day privilege?

As to the idea that someone is now paying for 3 days when they may not use but one, I annually purchase a 365-day sportsman's license, and most days, I don't use it at all. Not complaining, just pointing out that we typically purchase a licensing "privilege" to be able to do something, lots of things, but not necessarily planning to do something it allows at every possible hour allowed.

But I admit, my pea brain doesn't see the harm in allowing the continuance of the 1-day license, although it "might" have made sense to raise its price, making that 3-day option an even better value. Nice to have choices.

Latest posts

Back