• Help Support TNDeer:

Weiss Lake

Fishing is great on Weiss, I've heard the same rumor about the pcbs from papermill. I'm headed down week after next. It's a great time. I stay at Little River lodges. Clean ramps right there and can plug your boat up to charge. Pcbs if you speak with wildlife officer say it's not true but that's what I've been told that it is contaminated. They taste gooooood :D

Well I called the Alabama department of health and the lady that works there said no way she would feed one of those fish to her family of friends and they all love crappie.Ive eaten hundreds from the lake but no more.She said the whole chain of lakes will give you cancer and she wasn't joking.

was looking at the Weiss lake restrictions and didn't see white crappie listed,do they not have the white crappie there or are they not affected?

I'm curious, some of the literature I've been reading say that PCB is only in the fat of the fish and if clean properly its safe. Anyone else know anything about it. I hate this about Weiss, Ive been going down a couple times a year since moving back home in 1994. Not going down to Weiss is horrible but not as bad as cancer thats for sure. Dewey if you get any answers buddy call me, I had a trip planned next weekend but guess I'll just fish here or maybe go down and visit Simms on Picwick. I've been hearing its as good if not better than Weiss for Crappie. Also there is always Gunterville and its got plenty of big Crappie.

Dave

duckriver":3nu5jd3i said:
mike243":3nu5jd3i said:

That's crazy. I didn't realize there are so many with restrictions. I'm sure a lot of people don't know about this

lol its in the fishing guide, i posted it several years ago. mainly in shelby county in west tn and pretty much everything in east tn. ive always wondered where the mercury from the mouth of the duck river to i40 got there. that's just the cost of progress.

as for north alabama, i went to guntersville years ago for a softball tourney and commented about how many lakes there are, and the locals was saying yeah but a lot of it is polluted. seems like general electric had a transformer plant around there and another company was making pcb mineral oils for them and they had a major spill somewhere. i think they had contaminated drinking water in north alabama a couple of years ago too.

i imagine they will have problems with pcbs and dioxin for decades.

smalljawbasser":au80c9en said:
I just want to know how it can affect one sub species of bass, but not two other subspecies. They both eat the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mainly because largemouths eat more and live longer than smallmouths. smallmouths main diet is crawfish when available.

crappie and largemouths are more comparable because they live in similar waters and both main diets are shad and small fish which in turn eat the planktin and algae that may be contaminated.

more concerning is the testing positive of crappie. since they have a shorter lifespan one could deduce that there may be higher concentrations of toxins in the water but just a hunch.

Rackseeker":2pnru1tf said:
I seen Woods Res has PCBs and not to eat catfish. First, why just catfish? Second, why not Tims Ford catfish? Woods Res empties right into Tims Ford.

because TDEC only places advisories on fish they have tested that exceeds the safe trigger point. for example, when they recently tested big sandy largemouth and spotted bass where the only ones tested high enough. crappie and bluegill tested well below the limit. largemouths are at the top of the food chain and would be expected to test high as they eat pretty much anything they can swallow.

Latest posts

Back