• Help Support TNDeer:

Welded Jon boats

TnBob

Im looking at different welded jon boats and like the looks of the War Eagle 548ldv. Anybody have experience with them? It will be mostly for fishing as I don't duck hunt. Ive also looked at the new 2017 Tracker Grizzly 14 and 16 footers but Im leaning more toward the War Eagle. Any opinions on any of them? Thanks

Just sold a 20 foot War Eagle to a guy in South Carolina who is going to use it to guide alligator hunts. So that tells you how stable they are. The only thing I didn't like about it was it was center console. It had more room in it than any aluminum boat I have ever owned.

Sea ark, war eagle, G3, express, and triton, in my opinion are all dang good boats. I've owned and abused the G3 and the triton and only abused the other 3. Hahaha. If money was no option, sea Ark would be my first choice but I honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of the above 5.

War Eagle is great. As is, Xpress, SeaArk, Alweld, etc. There's a lot of quality boat makes out there. When you look at "all welded boats" pay close attention. Some companies weld the hull and then rivet everything else. My Xpress didn't have a single rivet in it anywhere. My buddy's Tracker Grizzly was full of rivets except the hull.

The 2017 Tracker Grizzlys are 100% aluminum even the transom and supposedly have no rivets. Ive read a lot of bad about them but they seem to be better built now. I just don't want to buy something and regret it later on. Sea Ark, War Eagle etc seem to be top of the line but the Tracker is a lot less money. I looked at a Lowe 1650 Roughneck too. It seemed pretty solid.

I've got a welded Fisher made in 2001, pretty much same boat as Grizzly. I've had 2 spots re-welded and replaced rivets on the inside and floors countless times. It was cheap at the time and floats although I've not been incredibly pleased with it. Everything rattles like heck when riding in any chop. Once Bass Pro/Tracker teamed up I think the quality went down. They may be better now but I'd look at others if I was buying again. Good luck.

SeaArk is the beast on the water,i have had mine since 1999,I mostly do bowfishing out of my SeaArk..125 aluminum and 10 chines,and 28 in walls....all welded.a great boat for ducks and fishing also....with my 7ftx5ft deck,we have plenty of room...my choice.

kopter doktor":1jsd7f2i said:
SeaArk is the beast on the water,i have had mine since 1999,I mostly do bowfishing out of my SeaArk..125 aluminum and 10 chines,and 28 in walls....all welded.a great boat for ducks and fishing also....with my 7ftx5ft deck,we have plenty of room...my choice.
Sent ya a PM!

TnBob":fadyrdh4 said:
duckriver":fadyrdh4 said:
I'm loven my Alweld so far. 1652 flat marsh series tunnel hull with 60/40 jet

Where did you buy your Alweld? Been looking at them online. I like the looks of their 1552 modified v.

Lawrenceburg Marine. Greats guys to to deal with

I bought a new war eagle in 97 to duck hunt and fish a small river back in SC. It had stress cracks in some welds on top but never below the water line. I ran it 3 or 4 years before I sold it. My brother has one now that's got to be around the same age that doesn't have any stress cracks. He bought it used from a friend probably 15 years ago. I'd probably buy another one just because it was the only one I've seen that cracked up. My brother is running the 1548 with the lowered front casting deck. He runs it on Santee too so it takes a beating in the swamp.

I have had A LOT of War Eagle Boats. Service is better than most, and with the cost these days for a tin boat, it is nice. I took a 20 year old boat back and had it repaired for cracks and it was no charge. I am not saying they are the only good boat, I am just not buying any other brand. Johnny

What about a Alumacraft 1650 MV AW? .105 gauge aluminum. Looks pretty solid. I'm also considering an Alweld 1652...... too many to choose from. The Alumacraft is a little less money.

TnBob":mhnkuzy7 said:
What about a Alumacraft 1650 MV AW? .105 gauge aluminum. Looks pretty solid. I'm also considering an Alweld 1652...... too many to choose from. The Alumacraft is a little less money.

Those are the two I narrowed it down to when I bought mine. Lawrenceburg Marine had both in stock and I brought the alweld home, it's a little more money but much better built boat with more options

TnBob":14kdh5vk said:
The 2017 Tracker Grizzlys are 100% aluminum even the transom and supposedly have no rivets. Ive read a lot of bad about them but they seem to be better built now. I just don't want to buy something and regret it later on. Sea Ark, War Eagle etc seem to be top of the line but the Tracker is a lot less money. I looked at a Lowe 1650 Roughneck too. It seemed pretty solid.

I handle warranty for Tracker Marine, and since they have changed the design on the Grizzlies in the last couple of years, I can count on one hand how many claims I have filed. Just don't see many claims come across for them anymore.

Latest posts

Back