• Help Support TNDeer:

What boat for middle TN?

AllOutdoors":3ieog7a0 said:
Where do you plan on fishing?

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

I can't really answer that without hiring a few guides on different kinds of water. I'll have to experience a taste of it all before I decide.

I doubt I'll do much, if any, fly fishing up here unless I found some good sightfishing.

I do think I'll enjoy striper fishing with plugs and bait.

Within an hour of Franklin, what lakes, rivers and streams should I experience before buying something?

Pilchard":3e3jfh5f said:
AllOutdoors":3e3jfh5f said:

I can't really answer that without hiring a few guides on different kinds of water. I'll have to experience a taste of it all before I decide.

I doubt I'll do much, if any, fly fishing up here unless I found some good sightfishing.

Within an hour of Franklin, what lakes, rivers and streams should I experience before buying something?

PM sent.

Within an hour of Franklin im not sure. I think the Harpeth is there and makes for some nice floats in a canoe or kayak. Im not sure how far Old Hickory or Priest is.
I fish ky lake for crappie when the water is right .
Its usually low.
I also fish the Duck river and Buffalo and they are shallow as well so i decided on an inboard jet. My boat is a RiverPro.
Hopefully someone else can chime in on waters close to Franklin. Im no guide but can give you a ride to fish the Duck and Buffalo.
The type of water you plan on fishing should ultimately help you decide on your boat.

scn":dicd29l3 said:
Pilchard":dicd29l3 said:
AllOutdoors":dicd29l3 said:

PM sent.

Thanks, Steve!

I plan to come and see you in the shop next week. I've got a couple books for you to borrow on tarpon fishing.

AllOutdoors":3quj6sl5 said:
Within an hour of Franklin im not sure. I think the Harpeth is there and makes for some nice floats in a canoe or kayak. Im not sure how far Old Hickory or Priest is.
I fish ky lake for crappie when the water is right .
Its usually low.
I also fish the Duck river and Buffalo and they are shallow as well so i decided on an inboard jet. My boat is a RiverPro.
Hopefully someone else can chime in on waters close to Franklin. Im no guide but can give you a ride to fish the Duck and Buffalo.
The type of water you plan on fishing should ultimately help you decide on your boat.

Thanks! I just might take you up on that.

Mainly fish Percy Priest for crappie which is within an hour of Franklin. Priest has a strong population of hybrids and stripers, we catch them all the time trolling for crappie. I see striper guides all the time on the lower part of the lake. We also fish the upper part of Old Hickory, which is right at an hour or so from Franklin. I see a strong populations of really nice stripers there, my biggest to date is 35 lbs, but there are bigger ones and I only catch them incidentally. The state record of 65 lb came from Cordell Hull lake, which is further up the Cumberland from Old Hickory and about 1.5 hours from Franklin. There are guides that fish upper Old Hickory and Cordell Hull. If you can throw a net, shad are easy to get and are the bait to use. Have caught them on artificials on occasion. If you ever see them busting shad on top, it is an amazing sight. Have a big Rogue or Redfin ready and hang on for a fight.

Cheatam dam is an hour or so northwest of Franklin on the Cumberland and there are stripers in that stretch to Cumberland City. I have never fished there and don't know anything about the guides there.

There is Tim's Ford to the southeast about 1.8 hours that I believe has a strong population of stripers. I have never fished it, but knew a guy that did well there. Don't know about the guides there.

Basically, if you want to striper fish, there are lots of options in Middle TN. You are about 2 hours or so of the Tennessee river in three directions and is an amazing fishery.

Agree with the Bay Boat being a winner.

Attachments

• Hoosier Hooker.jpg
    Hoosier Hooker.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,006

Latest posts

Back