• Help Support TNDeer:

What is your worst rifle you ever owned?

My worst was a Win model 70 featherweight in 30-06. I was a wet behind the ears teenager when I bought it. The recoil was unbearable with the steel skeleton butt plate and hot varmint loads. My shoulder was pretty much wrecked from a motorcycle wreck to begin with. When I bought it, my long term goal was big game out west but used it for groundhogs before the "out west" could take place. Kinda wish I still had it, was a pre 64 model and would fetch a handsome sum nowadays.

My worst was a Win model 70 featherweight in 30-06. I was a wet behind the ears teenager when I bought it. The recoil was unbearable with the steel skeleton butt plate and hot varmint loads. My shoulder was pretty much wrecked from a motorcycle wreck to begin with. When I bought it, my long term goal was big game out west but used it for groundhogs before the "out west" could take place. Kinda wish I still had it, was a pre 64 model and would fetch a handsome sum nowadays.
I had a pre 64 then like a dumbazz went and sold it years ago. After I sold realized what a big mistake that was. Bought a post 64, installed a custom recoil pad, had a muzzle brake installed, couple of other accoutrements upgrades, and now you can shoot that rifle all day long. My son bought a Boyd stock for me one Christmas and bedded it. Would sell it no matter what.

Ruger 77 lightweight .243 with the original red butt pad & a single set trigger.
If the trigger was set, you daren't blink or it'd go off. Unset, it was about a 9lb pull.
That wasn't the worst part. Accuracy was 'meh' but the recoil was beyond intolerable! It would smack you in the cheek to the point of giving me several black eyes & it was like being smacked in the shoulder with a machete! Absolutely THE worst stock profile I've ever shot.
I've shot .338s & .300 ultramags that didn't hurt so much.

By far was a Kimber Montana in 300wsm... would not even chamber factory ammo... sent back... and still could never get it to group for anything... horrible gun and service from Kimber.... Worst Pistol... Kimber 45... constant jamming... Kimber Customer service told me the mags from them were bad and to buy new ones... They would not even replace them even after admitting they were the problem and they were their mags

My dad had an old CVA muzzle loader that someone gave him. It was awful. I had a Winchester model 70 featherlite in 25-06. It was a great little rifle and as long as I was shooting off a bench it shot great but as soon as I was in the field I couldn't hold a steady bead to save my life. I have never shot an encore that shot great. They have shot good enough to kill a deer at a 100 yards or so but not much farther. On the other hand I have a Remington 700 7mm mag built in the mid 80s that will shoot anything you put in it great.

When I moved to Alaska about 25 years ago I was young and broke so I bought that one rifle that could kill anything in the state, a Ruger wood stocked M77 in .338 Win Mag. There was truthfully nothing wrong with the gun other than I hated shooting it. Something about the ergonomics made it kick harder than a 416 Rigby I had shot before. At the range I could get about 3 shots down range and my shoulder would be quivering in pain. I sold it.

When I moved to Alaska about 25 years ago I was young and broke so I bought that one rifle that could kill anything in the state, a Ruger wood stocked M77 in .338 Win Mag. There was truthfully nothing wrong with the gun other than I hated shooting it. Something about the ergonomics made it kick harder than a 416 Rigby I had shot before. At the range I could get about 3 shots down range and my shoulder would be quivering in pain. I sold it.
I had a customer one time who said his mod 70 in 338 mag would "kill at both ends"!

Not a bad one, but I took a 300 WinMag in trade once. I was immediately trying to sell it. A guy I worked with said he didn't know all this 308 30-06 300WM stuff. I told him it's not that hard to get used to it. He asked me why I was selling it. I told him cuz it's a 300 win mag. 🤣

A military surplus, sporterized Italian 6.5 Carcano....this was in the late 1980's and I was a teenager, just starting to deer hunt....I saw it at a pawn shop bought it for about $50.00...I even bought reloading dies for it since shells were expensive, and really almost impossible, to find. It was so shot out that at 50 yards the bullets were hitting the targets sideways!!! Thankfully, it got stolen! Haha

A rossi single shot 243!
Same here. It was all over the place.

So i sold and got a savage 116 lightweight in 6.5CM for my son. Had it 6 years. He's 10 for 10 with it. Never had one run out of sight. And several have just dropped. I don't care what anyone thinks about the round. He and I both have killed plenty of deer with it. But I do like my 308 and 7/08 pretty dang well.

Back