• Help Support TNDeer:

When do you start for smallies in the river

buckaroo

Here in east TN, I usually start late April, best bait is live hellgrammites, or big creek minnows. I would like to start a little earlier kayaking the river but the water is still cold, my best days I just put on waders and float it first of April

Best days I've had was when it was so hot that wading was about the only way to do it. But I know guys that are way better at river fishing than I'll ever be and they'll tell you sept and oct are the best months for big fish.

Id say go for it now. These warmer days ought to be helping. All this rain had our little rivers flowing too much for my liking but it has slowed down a lot the past several days. I am dying to get the kayak out for some smallies now.

I fish the headwaters of the duck and have tried early spring with no luck at all. It's shallow and I usually wade it. I'm not sure what water temperature triggers it, but once it warms up it's like a light switch. Bait and bass everywhere. I also kayaked the Collins on a nice day this winter and it was dead as well. It makes me wonder if those fish leave for deeper water where the temperature won't change as fast for protection. I see some great pictures of guys floating rivers catching the crap out of them in the winter and early spring. Is it deeper water?

I've got a friend who is a smaller river (Harpeth size) master.
He can wear them out all year long fishing pretty much the same way he always does. Mainly a smoke colored tube. just slower and deeper. He tends to catch more and bigger fish in the winter on warm days.

Back