• Help Support TNDeer:

Why use 2D on a SI/DI sonar

Zulu

Okay fellas, I need some schoolin'. It's time to replace my 2005-era fishfinders, so obviously I'll be getting something with at least DI, and probably SI.
My question is why, in all the commercials and demos I've seen, do they run 2D on half the screen and either DI or SI on the other? Granted, all I've ever run is 2D, so I'm more comfortable with that, but in the demos and videos I've looked at, everything you can see in 2D you can also see in DI/SI. So why give up half your screen space to another sonar mode when you can get a better picture with one mode on full screen?

What am I missing?

like aqua said, fish may show up as specs (crappie and smaller fish) on di but on 2d chirp they will be arches. also 2d/di will show whats directly below your boat, because of that black strip of side imaging that runs down the center. also remember that the last gen lowrance and hummingbirds require a dedicated 2d/di transducer to get good images y cabled to the side image transducer. some of the hummingbird models all in one transducers used computer software to stitch together the side image reflections in order to create the di refection. if you were to cut one of these transducers in half you would only see 2 piezo crystals angled for side imaging and no dedicated down imaging crystal. i dont know about the newer units, but some of the descriptions can be confusing, ie transducer/no transducer, total image, structure scan, etc.

It depends on how im fishing and what im fishing for.
I will scan and mark structure in SI because of the amount of area you can cover and then switch over to a split screen 2d/map to hit all the waypoints I marked and look for the arches as mentioned. This I do for crappie. I also use 360 imaging!!

In deep water anchor fishing for catfish I will scan with SI unless Im fishing known structure and use Di and a lot of times split DI/2d.

2D used correctly can help identify what kind of bottom (soft mud or hard and rocky) utilizing the palette of colors. Used in conjunction with DI and SI you can tell weather or not you are looking at rocks, stumps, or mud humps.

In addition to what is already said, it's also sort of like a quick look. On color sonar, stuff jumps out better. Then you can look at DI for a different view.

Where DI and SI shines for me is separating actual fish from bait or brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alot off times brush ,steakbeds,and other structure will look like a blob on 2d,down imagining you know what's down there.I run a lowrance 7 and 9 touch on the bow with maps zoomed all the way in and 2d on the 9 and down imagining and maps zoomed out some on the 7.The reason I run 2 maps is because I can keep one zoomed in and sit on top of structure and the one zoomed out some I can see the next waypoint so I know what direction to go without pushing any buttons.I also have sidescan on the front and will sidescan fom time to time when going from waypoint to waypoint.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

smalljawbasser":2umx46ep said:
I thought of something else - when actually fishing vertically you'll want sonar instead of DI.

This is primarily what I use mine for anymore

smalljawbasser":2c6aj9d9 said:
I thought of something else - when actually fishing vertically you'll want sonar instead of DI.

When I ventricle fish, I use the split screen and turn my speed up to 10. When I get spaghetti lines on my screen it's game on. I watch for my lure on the sonar side in jigging mode.

smalljawbasser":2j3rxbvw said:

I verticle jig and use the setup I mentioned above,sometimes I turn the sensativity up on my 2d so I can see where my jigs at[emoji3]

Model70Man":3u0x1e25 said:
smalljawbasser":3u0x1e25 said:

When I ventricle fish, I use the split screen and turn my speed up to 10. When I get spaghetti lines on my screen it's game on. I watch for my lure on the sonar side in jigging mode.
Exactly[emoji12]

Model70Man":306iycic said:
2D used correctly can help identify what kind of bottom (soft mud or hard and rocky) utilizing the palette of colors. Used in conjunction with DI and SI you can tell weather or not you are looking at rocks, stumps, or mud humps.
This

Latest posts

Back