• Help Support TNDeer:

Winter blue cats

catman529

I have heard of catching big blues in the winter for years, wanted badly to catch some when I was around the age of 12, and had no boat or no money... now things are different, I have a boat, and lately I've been thinking it's about time to get on the water looking for some. If we ever get some winter, that is. Should I be looking for skipjack, or catching shad with a net, fishing below dams, or along rock bluffs or in the impoundments... will be on the Cumberland River if I go. What's a good place to start? I know they are below the dams in the summer time but winter I really don't know what I'm doing. All I know is the river is flowing higher. When deer season closes I think I might go fishing some more.

Skip Jack is king,ledges are all you need.Get a good hook style anchor and 100' of heavy rope,Anchor near bouys and fish off the back a good cast,3 poles at least.Fish 45 minutes and move downstream and fish the same ledge.Use 50 lb line and no roll sinkers Carolina style with big hooks.Fresh skipjacks are the best.Fillet them and cut and scale them,more scent in the water the more fish.Dont keep the big ones let them breed,plenty little ones to eat if you want.

Diamond Hunter has excellent advice.... however I find that in the winter, cut bluegill works about as well as skipjack.

Obviously bluegill are easier to find/catch in the winter... that's one reason I think they work about as well (for me). Since they're more plentiful, they're also more available for the cats (when they decide to eat). It's sort of like you are "matching the hatch" when flyfishing.

Of course I also catch 'em on chicken breast year round. :super:

Back