• Help Support TNDeer:

Winter Crappie

I prefer the upper ends of the lakes, in underwater creek channels, generally in 12-18 FOW. I find that channel edges adjacent to flats generally are more productive for me. As far as baits, the sky is the limit once you find em.

On Douglas fish can be caught in 3 feet of water or less in the dead of winter. The fishermen usually use flies and floats. Some tip the flies with minnows. In deeper water some fishermen tight line while others use 10-12 ft rods and fish 10-12 feet under floats. In the past I have even watched (caught) fishermen snagging crappie on Douglas.

They like to hang out on creek ledges this time of year.You have to go up and down the ledge to figure them out.Some days it's half way down the drop,others its at the bottom.14 to 22 fow.We tight line minnows this time of year exclusively with a double hook set.

Creek channel flats in the bend of creeks blue and chart fly. Get them from cottontop he is on here has posted a pic in thread they are great this time of year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmatt17":2aman03s said:
Creek channel flats in the bend of creeks blue and chart fly. Get them from cottontop he is on here has posted a pic in thread they are great this time of year

Thanks Matt. Glad they are working for you. The crappie are on again on Guntersville and still eating that blue.

Yes sir, thank you. I actually found out that my brother makes fly fishing flies and he has taught me how and I getting started into the never ending adventure of tying now. It's awesome to catch one on a fly that you have personally tied.

3750c7fb67c8ebfa284608024f374ae3.jpg

In the dead cold of winter I do the best tight lining minnows or Bobby garlands off rock ledges that are off the channel and in the sun. It gives heat to their bodies in the frigid temps faster than open water. Usually about 12-15ft deep.

Latest posts

Back