• Help Support TNDeer:

Would you support slot limits vs minimum length?

scn":16dgktep said:
diamond hunter":16dgktep said:
Old Hickory lake needs a size limit on crappie.11" minimum and 14" maximum.The lake would explode in 2 years.Everything eats crappie.The fish that eat a lot of them are bass and rockfish.

Actually, the scientific research that has been done has shown that crappie are not a major food item for stripers. That old wives tale has been debunked in more than one study.
I've never found a crappie in the gut of a striper. I have seen crappie and bass in the mouths of gar. It was my understanding that a 10 inch crappie would have lived long enough for 2-3 spawning years?

My point is that all fish will benefit from a slot limit on crappie.I also believe that the study can be incorrect,as in the timing of the year.Food preferences change.I really don't care how many crappie rockfish eat,I just would rather have a slot.

AllOutdoors":1gncrgc6 said:
scn":1gncrgc6 said:
diamond hunter":1gncrgc6 said:
Old Hickory lake needs a size limit on crappie.11" minimum and 14" maximum.The lake would explode in 2 years.Everything eats crappie.The fish that eat a lot of them are bass and rockfish.

Actually, the scientific research that has been done has shown that crappie are not a major food item for stripers. That old wives tale has been debunked in more than one study.
I've never found a crappie in the gut of a striper. I have seen crappie and bass in the mouths of gar. It was my understanding that a 10 inch crappie would have lived long enough for 2-3 spawning years?

I know of a striper/hybrid guide who will tell you the absolute best bait for stripers/hybrids for a couple months is crappie. He told me you could hammer the stripers and hybrids with crappie. Doesn't apply to me because I do not fish with live bait, well other than crickets for bluegills.

There is no doubt that a striper will hit a crappie used as a bait. But, there have been several scientific studies done on the food habits of striped bass in various reservoirs across the country. I am not aware of any that have documented crappie being a major food source for stripers. Crappie occasionally get eaten, but not frequently enough to be any type of a drain on the crappie population.

Stripers devouring crappie is an old wives tale that goes all the way back to the 60s when striped bass were first being stocked in inland waters.

I would be cautious when applying a "one size fits all" management plan. In some places a slot will absolutely be beneficial, in others....no.
Wildlife biology has too many moving parts for ONE management strategy to work EVERYWHERE.

scn":3stiw8f5 said:
There is no doubt that a striper will hit a crappie used as a bait. But, there have been several scientific studies done on the food habits of striped bass in various reservoirs across the country. I am not aware of any that have documented crappie being a major food source for stripers. Crappie occasionally get eaten, but not frequently enough to be any type of a drain on the crappie population.

Stripers devouring crappie is an old wives tale that goes all the way back to the 60s when striped bass were first being stocked in inland waters.

This guide swore by them, and every single person I know who has ever fished with him has hammered the fish on Priest, especially the hybrids. Said in those couple months there was no better bait on Priest.

I know the biggest striper I ever hooked on Priest was on a smallmouth. A friend and myself were catching smallmouth on a drop near Long Hunter. 1 to 1-1/2 lb bass, just catching and letting them go. I hooked up and told him I had a good one. When they got close to the boat, the biggest striper I have ever personally seen on Priest had half of the smallmouth in his mouth. He spit it out when he saw the boat.

Believer the striper are hitting the crappie bc it is a fish on a hook and obviously it looks injured and can't go anywhere. I do not believe many healthy crappie get eat by striper at least not enough to hurt the population.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's just like the guys down here say all the smallmouth and black perch are getting eat by musky. This is far from the truth. No doubt in my mind a musky would eat a struggling smallmouth but to say they are eating all the fish is a stretch.

Daniel90":2uk2seh1 said:
It's just like the guys down here say all the smallmouth and black perch are getting eat by musky. This is far from the truth. No doubt in my mind a musky would eat a struggling smallmouth but to say they are eating all the fish is a stretch.

Then why cant I catch any ? !! :poke: :rotf: :rotf:

fishboy1":1dd98j4z said:
Daniel90":1dd98j4z said:

Then why cant I catch any ? !! [emoji14]oke: :rotf: :rotf:
Dunno lol I catch 5 pound plus smallies in that river every year.

I support the regulation that will best create the desired fishery under the present conditions. The fishery guys use a variety of data to come to their conclusions about regs. Size distribution from shocking sampling, creel surveys, and angler opinion surveys all play into it. I would much rather they make a recommendation that can be scientifically defended that just a SWAG regulation based on their last fishing trip.

And I want Daniel90 to take me fishing some time- I haven't been overly impressed with the smallie fishing in that river yet, but have only been a handful of times.

MickThompson":gnaelln9 said:
I support the regulation that will best create the desired fishery under the present conditions. The fishery guys use a variety of data to come to their conclusions about regs. Size distribution from shocking sampling, creel surveys, and angler opinion surveys all play into it. I would much rather they make a recommendation that can be scientifically defended that just a SWAG regulation based on their last fishing trip.

And I want Daniel90 to take me fishing some time- I haven't been overly impressed with the smallie fishing in that river yet, but have only been a handful of times.
Got to go to the stretches where people don't fish every day. The stretch I float I can honestly say I have never seen another person floating it and I always catch fish. There are some hogs in the collins.if ur fishing anywhere even close to a ramp yoy won't catch many.

Daniel90":1k0quxn3 said:
fishboy1":1k0quxn3 said:
Daniel90":1k0quxn3 said:

Then why cant I catch any ? !! [emoji14]oke: :rotf: :rotf:
Dunno lol I catch 5 pound plus smallies in that river every year.

Its because I suck at fishing fresh water !! :rotf: :rotf:

Back