• Help Support TNDeer:

Yesterday was a first for me

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Went to my neighborhood pond yesterday for a few minutes.
I had a few crickets left over from the weekend and thought I would catch a few bream before the rain hit.
I caught one pretty quick and then NOTHING.
I fished for like 20 minutes with only like one other bite.
On a whim I took out a jar of 1" gulp minnows and put them on a jig head. Picked that up from watching Kayak Catfish. LOL
I started catching them on almost every single cast for the next 30 minutes.
I have always said nothing will out perform a cricket and live by that motto but yesterday it wasn't even a contest.
I just found that rather odd.

No TARP yesterday though, a couple 9 1/2" is as close as I got.

As you have seen... those gulp minnows fished in that manner are incredible. I can go out in an evening and catch 50 fish easy... I fish it ultra lite like he does and catch everything... I live on Melton Hill and have caught in one evening: Large mouth bass, white bass, yellow bass, channel catfish, green sun fish, war mouth, blue gill, drum, buffalo carp, shell cracker.... anyway, you get the drift... you never know what you will be on the end of the line. The other night I caught 27 white bass on 27 casts...

I guess what shocked me is that they wouldn't even sniff a cricket but tore those up.
Pretty cool.
I love fishing like that too.

Would someone mind showing me the set up on how to use them?
I just thread the 1" minnow onto a small, 1/64th ounce? trout magnet jig head.
I fish it with out any other weight, cast it out and let it fall and if you don't get hit on the fall just start "bouncing" it back towards me as I reel slowly.
Very simple and wildly effective.

I've got a couple of artificial baits I use at my Yellow Perch lake that will catch fish 10 to 1 over live bait. It's crazy. The past several years I haven't even bothered buying live bait to take there, haven't had a need for it.

I've done it with trout fishing too. Usually live red wiggler worms are an easy limit with them but I have saw times when I couldn't get a bite on them and swap to a berkley power worm and instantly started catching fish. It doesn't make sense because a power worm is an imitation red worm.

I've done it with trout fishing too. Usually live red wiggler worms are an easy limit with them but I have saw times when I couldn't get a bite on them and swap to a berkley power worm and instantly started catching fish. It doesn't make sense because a power worm is an imitation red worm.
I think sometimes the action of a artificial will trigger more of reaction bite vs the fish being in feeding mode.

I just thread the 1" minnow onto a small, 1/64th ounce? trout magnet jig head.
I fish it with out any other weight, cast it out and let it fall and if you don't get hit on the fall just start "bouncing" it back towards me as I reel slowly.
Very simple and wildly effective.
Can you post a picture? Sorry for all the questions

@TNGRIZZLY_

F1821C18-7F1F-4E6B-99A5-B6BFA1C93440.jpeg
687CD3AB-393A-4FD2-A2DF-92A52027A803.jpeg

I'm sure any jighead would work

Several times, people with me have tried to outfish crickets using that exact bait, and I was hoping they would, I swear every single time I have crickets in my boat, the bucket gets flipped and my boat makes noise for several weeks. I was hoping they would and I would not only have another option, but maybe wouldn't have to go looking for crickets, crickets get harder to find it seems like every year.

But, no one has even come close to beating crickets, not even in the ballpark.

Been 20 years ago but myself and a buddy would fish Richland Creek, right in the middle of Belle Meade/Hillwood (million $$$ homes) and wear them out on a similar rig. We'd catch one (sunfish, bream, etc...) almost every cast.

couple of tips:

if you have a hankering to find out what that juice taste like, dont you wont like it. also goes for that deer cocaine.

take em off after you get done with them or else theyll dry up to about 1/2 inch and are hello to get off the hook, without slicing a finger open or jamming a #6 hook elbow deep in your thumb.

worse than trying to cut an uncle josh pork off a jig:
0018BB57-F263-4930-88A7-9B1341B135EB.jpeg

Back