• Help Support TNDeer:

20" club for me too!!

MidTennFisher

I finally did it! Got a fat, 21" Brown a couple nights ago in the Caney while night fishing below the dam in the yak. Also got several short Walleye and a 17 incher for dinner.

I went back last night and fished until 4:30 am. Same deal, lots of short Walleye but I did get a beauty 17.5" Rainbow as well as two keeper Walleye, 16" and a 21". Some of that meat is for me and the wife, some I'm giving to my parents since they've never had Walleye.

This morning, that nice 21" Walleye did a tail flip while I was taking its photo on the measuring board and it knocked my phone out of my hand into the depths of the river. It's gone forever. Attached is a pic of it I took with my wife's phone when I got home so that I could submit it to Kayak Wars haha. No pic of the Rainbow since I had to release it and my phone is gone. You'll just have to believe me.

If there was ever a doubt whether I'd eat that fish or not (there wasn't, I'm not a catch and release guy), that fish surely sealed its fate by sending my phone for a swim. It's going to taste great! :mrgreen:

The trick for these Walleye is jerkbaits, jerkbaits, jerkbaits. I've caught them on X-Rap, Shadow Rap, and Rattlin Rogues. The Rogues seem to be the best.

Attachments

• WP_20150623_05_58_25_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150623_05_58_25_Pro.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 977
  • 20150621_231127.jpg
    20150621_231127.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 978
  • 20150621_231221.jpg
    20150621_231221.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 977
Andy S.":dwqyv72j said:
Nice fish, it sounds like you've been in them, congrats!

Thanks and yea I've had some good trips to the Caney lately. I'm glad I ventured out of my comfort zone a bit and did the night fishing thing, even by myself as was the case last night. I seem to be quickly learning how to catch the Walleye and am really enjoying this. I never had a clue how to catch them until recently and will probably spend most of my Summer fishing forays doing exactly this - throwing jerkbaits at night below the dam. Plenty of Walleye to catch and lots of big Browns cruising as well.

Re: 20" club for me too!!

Good stuff! Going there tomorrow, hope to catch some walleye too. You done any good on them during the day? Sorry bout your phone

Sent from the talk of tap

From what I've read, it's very unlikely to catch one during the day this time of year, especially on artificial lures. Oddly enough, I did catch one a couple summers ago in August and in the middle of the day on a Trout Magnet. It was a nice keeper too. I wouldn't count on that happening again though. Their eyes are very sensitive to light so they stay deep and in cover in that river during the day. At night they'll cruise the shallows to feed.

I now have a rogue, shadow rap and TM crank

Going later this afternoon with plan to stay after dark

MidTennFisher":1tof8d0k said:
catman529":1tof8d0k said:
I now have a rogue, shadow rap and TM crank

Going later this afternoon with plan to stay after dark

Good luck man, post a report!
caught a few, stopped at happy hollow first and paddled around a bit and caught 1 rainbow. Went to dam for generation turning off at 7. Stayed till 10.

Total for evening was 6 rainbows, 2 bluegills, 1 black crappie, 1 white bass and 1 walleye. Eye is around 17" and I'm about to pull it off the ice and fillet...

d0a9b22ea2facb82eb813351937edcb7.jpg

9c7cc7518e1f3359e239fb0e3b0b3978.jpg

9a8cae0d8703440730f6c55fd8e00844.jpg

Everything was on a pink TM except the walleye and one trout, which were caught on a TM jerkbait after dark. The eye was on the 2nd or 3rd cast with the jerkbait. Lots of mossy weeds though was a pain with the jerkbait.

Mudbone":3pnehev9 said:
When'd you get a kayak catdaddy? And that's not an ugly stik in your pics. You feeling ok? :)
yak fairly recent and that's an ugly stik lite pro you see right there. :D come on out there next time I will be back soon

My neighbor used to night fish there a lot during January and caught several walleye on top water. He has one on his wall that was over 10 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Tennessee Lead":2ycj1yv1 said:
My neighbor used to night fish there a lot during January and caught several walleye on top water. He has one on his wall that was over 10 pounds.

dang so he didn't eat it? :o

catman529":12zgcbxx said:
Tennessee Lead":12zgcbxx said:

dang so he didn't eat it? :o

Lol nope.

Latest posts

Back