• Help Support TNDeer:

.223 for deer in Tn?

Non issue for us in Virginia, must be larger than .23 cal. for deer/bear.
I just go up one size to .243.
Both of these were in the 100 yard range and neither took one step after the shot.
The 2nd[pic] deer being #200+ on the hoof
AmXIHptm.jpg

xj7eFium.jpg

As above 223 is legal and im sure the big caliber guys are gonna tell you it isn't enough! My daughter has killed one with it my cousin has killed several all bang flops except the one my daughter killed but he didn't go 30 yrds.
Proper bullet for the gun, shot placement and knowing the limits is key.

For years I made fun of 6.5 man buns, still do, but now that I'm not ignorant of small calibers anymore I can totally see the benefits. I'm even starting to dab into it myself. I am a much better shot with my .243 than I am with my 7mm Rem Mag at 200 yards and they both kill quickly at that range. For me it's all about recoil and being able to follow up.

Proper bullet for the gun, shot placement and knowing the limits is key.

For years I made fun of 6.5 man buns, still do, but now that I'm not ignorant of small calibers anymore I can totally see the benefits. I'm even starting to dab into it myself. I am a much better shot with my .243 than I am with my 7mm Rem Mag at 200 yards and they both kill quickly at that range. For me it's all about recoil and being able to follow up.
Did you have to wait for your hair to grow to a bunn-able length?

If men are going to rely on these poodle shooters for human protection they dang better be prepared to take them into the woods to go hunt bambi.

With that said I generally recommend battle cartridges for doing battle stuff . And I generally recommend something a little larger for killing thin skinned game.

There can be exceptions to the rule(s) and time and place standards.

I've never hunted deer with a 223. Why when you can use a 243. But I've used neither. My opinion is I want something that will cause massive trauma. And will have a very noticeable blood trail. It's very thick and rugged in these east Tn mountains. So shoot one with a 223 if you want. 20 or 30 yards could add an all night retrieval if your lucky enough to find it with no blood trail. So keep that in mind. The area you will be hunting is important.
Honestly if you are going to fight, train and depend your life to the.223 I commend these folks for getting out there and dancing with these poodle shooters and getting some real world field experience with them. They are going to see up close what the limitations of the rounds are and may choose to use a different round in a real fighting caliber. :)

Non issue for us in Virginia, must be larger than .23 cal. for deer/bear.
I just go up one size to .243.
Both of these were in the 100 yard range and neither took one step after the shot.
The 2nd[pic] deer being #200+ on the hoof
AmXIHptm.jpg

xj7eFium.jpg
Use to be that way in tn years ago. They had a min caliber of .24 cal so everyone was pretty much restricted to entry level .243 cal. Which IMHO should be the entry level for hunting thin skilled game such as white tail deer antelope and such.

There are specialty bullets in .223 made specifically for White Tail when properly placed will get the job done when a reasonable range limit is imposed. Problem is your average deer hunter and average ar15 owner is just going to walk up to big box store and just grab whatever is on the shelf, maybe site the AR in and go to the woods with it. Here lies the problem.

Hunting rounds are but I'd make sure especially on a larger bodied buck. If you don't have perfect shot placement that you have plenty of room to track one. Small doe's are easier but still need good shot placement. Or it'll turn into a long long track job or no deer at all. perfect shot placement is few and far in between in thick woods I hunt. And in the mountains ain't nobody got no time for that.

Latest posts

Back