• Help Support TNDeer:

28ga-or 20ga

Another vote for the 20. It's a gun he could hunt with forever. I'm currently turkey hunting with a youth model 870. My son started shooting his youth 870 when he was 7.

The benelli montefeltro would be the lightest autoloader I believe (but hard to find for less than $1200)

The old rem 1100 LT 20g is really light as well... may be able to find one at a gun show
Only bad thing about the 1100 LT and 11-87 in 20 gauge is finding parts. They are nearly impossible!

I have a set up for skeet with Briley tubes .410, 28, 20 & 12. Light load 20's are not much different than 28's. You can get both in 3/4 oz loads so the recoil will be the same. I would go with the 20 because you are going to have more options and much easier to find and less expensive shells.
Bingo we have a winner

THANKS for all the tips and advice! We had decided the best gun for his size right now- will be the Mossberg Compact Bantam SA 20. Now to find one- got plenty of time- but Sept 1st is not far away :)

Found the gun through Sportsmansguide- but only comes with 1 choke-improved cylinder. Would like to get modified and full choke. Suggestions? Thanks

Smart move going with the 20 because the 28 gauge is an addiction no child should have to suffer with at an early age. I've killed everything from whitetails and tundra swans, to doves and bobwhites with mine. With the advent of tss, they are as capable as any gauge, if not more so because the recoil is more manageable!!

I would say the 28 gauge would be a good choice I killed two turkeys this year with mine the tss does great things. Overall it does a good job on everything from quail to turkeys with the right loads.

Dunns has the Stoeger 20's for like 369 right now or something crazy. They are actually the youth model when you get them. The shortened butt stock and such. Would be a very good buy for the money for a kid

We bought the Mossberg SA 20 bantam a few weeks back- he shot at old decoys 4 times. Took him to a Youth dove hunt yesterday. He shot a skeet 10 times- he hit four! In the dove field he shot about 20 times and KILLED FIVE! Gun is perfect fit for him! He is only 9- Pretty Good Day

Latest posts

Back