• Help Support TNDeer:

4 stroke idle hours....

416wbymag

Looking at a boat with a yamaha 250 on it. It has almost 600 idle hours on it with about 950 total.

Question is, is that a bad thing? It's been serviced every 100 hours.

How does that effect the value

Last edited:
I would not worry about idle hours. What you are looking for in that report(and you should get the whole report), is the distribution of hours at higher RPMs. If it has more hours above 5,000 than between 3-5k, then you know it was run hard.

You should also be able to tell some of it's alarm/code history which will indicate some possible issues.

Know folks with 2000-3000 hours on their Yamahas. You should see the crabbers here and how filthy their boats and engines are. They ALL run Yamahas
My 300 had 3,500hrs on it when I repowered and it was running just fine. I don't remember but because I used it for tarpon fishing primarily, I would bet 70% of the hours were at idle.

I would not worry about idle hours. What you are looking for in that report(and you should get the whole report), is the distribution of hours at higher RPMs. If it has more hours above 5,000 than between 3-5k, then you know it was run hard.

You should also be able to tell some of it's alarm/code history which will indicate some possible issues.

Looks decent to me

Attachments

• YD.webp
    YD.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 1
950 hours affects the value more than the idle hours. I'd consider 600 idle hours to be a plus.

Just a quick check... new 250 yamaha can be had for around $22,000. The motor you are looking at is probably worth in the $8-9000 range.

Latest posts

Back