• Help Support TNDeer:

Acorn Report

North east tn on ky line, red oaks loaded, majority of our whites have a few, with some loaded, of course chestnut oaks loaded
I'm going to try and get out and hang some more cams this weekend and check some more. I know at the house the trees are loaded but I'm in the extreme southern part of the tri cities.

Reds are not as think as usual and look to be smaller than normal, whites are small and patchy, pin oaks small and dropping now. Persimmons trees are about 15 percent of usual and food plots are just about burnt up or eaten to the ground.
My persimmons are loaded; but fruit is small and is starting to drop fruit that's not ripe

Decent crop on white and red varieties. Not going to be a bumper like last year. For some reason my sawtooth oaks didn't produce for the second year in a row.

I'm off all next week. I'm going to go check a couple oak ridges and see how they are doing in my area. Really hoping for some rain so I can get some seed out. This drought has been awful. I think food plots will be awesome this fall if you can get one established. But we really need a good rain system to get us out of this hot dry spell.

Macon County yesterday
1000006657.webp

Just a few Red and Black Oaks carrying in my area, and I assume those will be ruined by the drought. Almost zero White Oaks of any subspecies produced.

Decent crop on white and red varieties. Not going to be a bumper like last year. For some reason my sawtooth oaks didn't produce for the second year in a row.
I'm not seeing any sawtooth acorns either for the first time in many years. I was wondering if the negative mid-teen temps last winter had anything to do with it? At twenty+ years old and forty foot tall, they will usually carpet the ground at some point, but I don't think that will be the case this year.

I'm not seeing any sawtooth acorns either for the first time in many years. I was wondering if the negative mid-teen temps last winter had anything to do with it? At twenty+ years old and forty foot tall, they will usually carpet the ground at some point, but I don't think that will be the case this year.
My BIL has Sawtooths in his yard in west Nashville, and they had a pretty good crop of acorns, but they're all falling off unripe due to the drought.

My persimmons are loaded; but fruit is small and is starting to drop fruit that's not ripe
With acorns not being abundant this year, persimmons might be a good option to hunt over early season. I have a persimmon tree dropping big persimmons already and they are huge and ripe. Bears have been tearing them up lately.

All the persimmons that have hit the ground are gone and coons have quickly taken care of the rest. Week and half ago, my trees were hanging full and drooping, now they are almost all gone, same goes for my pear and apple trees! Chestnut and whitoaks beginning to fall and lots of reds loaded with a few hitting the gtound

Its weird 2 years in a row while other oaks doing fine. Maybe it was the sub zero temps. I have had them produce when other oaks didn't though...

Latest posts

Back