• Help Support TNDeer:

Acorn Report

This red oak limb was blown out by storm damage. Found it on catoosa earlier this week. It probably has a 2' radius. I stopped counting at 75 crowns.

Attachments

• IMG_3186.webp
    IMG_3186.webp
    310.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3185.webp
    IMG_3185.webp
    281 KB · Views: 1
It's hit or miss here so far. A few trees are dropping and they seem to have plenty, but other trees are empty. I'm also finding very, very few locusts with pods. Not near as many beech have nuts either. Not as horrible as it could have been. It should hopefully congregate them on just the few good trees and make for an easier hunt.

Walking around midday and bumped a group of deer out in the wide open so figured I'd check it out. White oaks dropping and deer are gobbling them up.
Exactly how I have found "new to me" white oaks over the years. Burning the boot leather scouting, bumping deer that seemed to oddly be "out in the open", and voila, a white oak dropping is why. Hopefully it is still hot come bow opener. Best of luck!

In my area, just on the eastern edge of the Plateau and down at the base the acorns are certainly mixed, with some being large and fully developed while many are seemingly underdeveloped. Huge cap, almost engulfing a tiny nut inside. I checked a couple of areas where the deer were tearing them up last year and there is very little sign they're hitting them there this year. I do believe part of it is the lack of water in the area though due to the drought. Hoping that might change soon before the 28th and then they'll get back on these acorns.

While working on plots last couple of days, I didn't see a single white or chestnut acorn, but did see a few reds. Also all the muscadines had dropped mostly immature.
This what I had been seeing. I need to recheck some the reds and blacks I saw carrying earlier. I suspect many of them dropped their acorns early due to the drought.

They are dropping somewhere cause my camera activity starts to slow down when they start hitting acorns.
They're all over the ground at my place, mostly green but some brown and they show signs of being eaten. They started falling about two weeks ago and these are younger oaks.

They are dropping somewhere cause my camera activity starts to slow down when they start hitting acorns.
That's what I'm afraid of at my place. In the severe drought and total acorn failure of 2022, nearby Swamp White Oaks produced down in the adjoining swampy bottomlands. Zero acorns up in the hills of my place. Every deer in the area was down in those swamps after the acorns and nothing was up in the hills.

Latest posts

Back