• Help Support TNDeer:

Antler size and drought? Effects?

woodsman04

In my area, and in my opinion/experience, we had the driest summer I remember.

Do you gentlemen think it has had a negative effect on antler size?
What I have observed is antlers that are lacking the "mass" that I would guess they normally have.

Just asking your thoughts.

Thank you.

No measurable rainfall entire month of June here. Southern Giles county and Alabama line.
They "usually" shed their racks around February 25th through March 15th, but it varies substantially in my experience. I think most growth here is in May and June. Vegetation is growing the most, the most palatable. By mid July lots of the summer plants have matured and aren't ready as beneficial as they once were.

I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, I'm just throwing stuff out there to try and create some theory

woodsman04,

As the theory goes, fall and winter food sources have the most impact on the following year's antler growth. In essence, much of the nutrients needed to grow antlers must be "preloaded" into the deer's body before the antlers start to grow. Because of this, in deer herds that are acorn driven (meaning acorns are their primary fall/winter food source), the year following a great acorn crop should produce the best antlers. The problem is, I'm not seeing that in reality. Much of TN had a great acorn crop last year. Theoretically, antler development should be way above average this year. Yet that's not what I'm seeing. On properties where I run censuses, from western Middle TN to northern Middle TN to the Plateau, I'm seeing average to below average antler production. That's not to say there aren't some good bucks this year. There are, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. In fact, the least effected group are the mature bucks. I'm see average to slightly above average antlers for the oldest bucks. But it's the middle-aged bucks - the 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year-olds - that seem to be the most "down" this year. On properties where normally 25-30% of 3 1/2 year-old bucks will have 9 or more antler points, this year the percentages are in the single digits. In addition, an extraordinarily high percentage of 2 1/2 year-olds have less than 8 points, and a significant percentage have 6 or fewer points.

What does all this mean? We still don't know all of the factors that go into antler production.

Appreciate every ones responses.

Yes we had acorns running out of our ears last year. My hunting club had all corn planted on it.

And then this summer we had the drought.

Will be an interesting fall. I'm ready to get in a tree. Still haven't been able to go.

I've seen better antlers this year on 2 1/2 year old deer but worse antlers overall on everything that isn't a 2 1/2 year old. No real big bucks on the camera this year. The deer do look healthier this year though with bigger bodies on them which is probably due to last year's acorn crop.

This year is probably a bad year for trophy buck hunters but luckily, I'm a meat hunter ;)

I've seen better antlers this year on 2 1/2 year old deer but worse antlers overall on everything that isn't a 2 1/2 year old. No real big bucks on the camera this year. The deer do look healthier this year though with bigger bodies on them which is probably due to last year's acorn crop.

This year is probably a bad year for trophy buck hunters but luckily, I'm a meat hunter ;)
That I have definitely noticed, at least early in the photo census process. Deer were looking great in early August. Not so much now. Bellies hollow, ribs showing now.

That I have definitely noticed, at least early in the photo census process. Deer were looking great in early August. Not so much now. Bellies hollow, ribs showing now.
I've noticed that too around me but luckily there are still some AG fields full of soybeans for them to eat. I'm hoping that this winter isn't too harsh on them and that they can maintain their weight. That drought we had certainly didn't help things one bit.

woodsman04,

As the theory goes, fall and winter food sources have the most impact on the following year's antler growth. In essence, much of the nutrients needed to grow antlers must be "preloaded" into the deer's body before the antlers start to grow. Because of this, in deer herds that are acorn driven (meaning acorns are their primary fall/winter food source), the year following a great acorn crop should produce the best antlers. The problem is, I'm not seeing that in reality. Much of TN had a great acorn crop last year. Theoretically, antler development should be way above average this year. Yet that's not what I'm seeing. On properties where I run censuses, from western Middle TN to northern Middle TN to the Plateau, I'm seeing average to below average antler production. That's not to say there aren't some good bucks this year. There are, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. In fact, the least effected group are the mature bucks. I'm see average to slightly above average antlers for the oldest bucks. But it's the middle-aged bucks - the 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year-olds - that seem to be the most "down" this year. On properties where normally 25-30% of 3 1/2 year-old bucks will have 9 or more antler points, this year the percentages are in the single digits. In addition, an extraordinarily high percentage of 2 1/2 year-olds have less than 8 points, and a significant percentage have 6 or fewer points.

What does all this mean? We still don't know all of the factors that go into antler production.
Maybe we will see more more passes on that age of bucks until next year!

As i understand it the nutrients for antler growth are reserved/stored in the skeletal system and are not affected by annual fluctuations of food. Long term malnutrition from poor soil yes, but one bad season not so much.

As i understand it the nutrients for antler growth are reserved/stored in the skeletal system and are not affected by annual fluctuations of food. Long term malnutrition from poor soil yes, but one bad season not so much.
That appears to be the truth. After the worst drought we've had in at least the last 38 years (2022), with no acorns, no food plots, and dried up natural habitat, we did not see a decline in antler quality the next year.

Back