• Help Support TNDeer:

Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 181 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 204 44.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 73 15.9%

• Total voters
Why did you plant food plots?
Variety of reasons. There are plots on our place that are not even hunted...those paticular plots are there soley to benifit wildlife....And unlike bait piles...when done correctly...food plots will feed wildlife well past hunting season into the following spring....food plots when done correctly can even provide nesting cover and fawning cover...."deer corn" piles provide none of these benifits? Money spent on wal-mart deer corn could be spent on chainsaw gas and do some edge feathering or timber stand improvements, let some sunlight in and create way more healthy forage than you'll ever get out of a feed sack. ..there really isnt any comparison between a corn pile and a sound habitat management plan which includes food plots.

I'd love for the Unit L food plot private land owner guys come over to SE Tennessee and hunt public land. I know you know what I am talking about. South Cherokee is the real deal.
South Cherokee is Rugged, Steep, HUGE.
It is not for the faint of heart or old of leg!

I have spent many a day roaming those type of woods for deer or turkey.

IT IS BRUTAL.

But then, ANY public land, or private land, where pressure is a factor and deer are very hunter wary, is tough.

But at Cherokee, Ocoee, and several other SE Tennessee, (Ga, N.C., even Alabama (Skyline) WMA's, the terrain is a big factor. Cahutta ain't no joke either.

South Cherokee is Rugged, Steep, HUGE.
It is not for the faint of heart or old of leg!

I have spent many a day roaming those type of woods for deer or turkey.

IT IS BRUTAL.

But then, ANY public land, or private land, where pressure is a factor and deer are very hunter wary, is tough.

But at Cherokee, Ocoee, and several other SE Tennessee, (Ga, N.C., even Alabama (Skyline) WMA's, the terrain is a big factor. Cahutta ain't no joke either.
I owned property in Humphreys county and killed piles of deer. Hunting in SE Tennessee is challenging. Hunting my property in Unit L was not.

Variety of reasons. There are plots on our place that are not even hunted...those paticular plots are there soley to benifit wildlife....And unlike bait piles...when done correctly...food plots will feed wildlife well past hunting season into the following spring....food plots when done correctly can even provide nesting cover and fawning cover...."deer corn" piles provide none of these benifits? Money spent on wal-mart deer corn could be spent on chainsaw gas and do some edge feathering or timber stand improvements, let some sunlight in and create way more healthy forage than you'll ever get out of a feed sack. ..there really isnt any comparison between a corn pile and a sound habitat management plan which includes food plots.
The point I am trying to make is the ultimate goal is to attract wildlife. Food plots are used to attract deer. Am I wrong?

Let them decide their own definition of fair chase for themselves and their families. And stopped trying to tell people how to hunt. Deer are generally overpopulated. If the right number of deer are harvested in an area, what difference does it make exactly how they are harvested?
So let each person or group decide whats ethical in taking game? A dead deer is a dead deer...so what difference does it make?

So should spot lights be allowed? Thermal imaging scopes? What about setting snares and trapping deer? And seasons may not matter if the end goal is only to kill a certain number of deer...kill them in the spring or summer might fit some peoples work schedule better?...transferable tags would be convenient way to reach the number of dead deer needed?..sharing tags amoung family members could work...poison darts could even be deployed.

What difference does it make?..dead deer is a dead deer?....also, reaping and fanning turkeys...60 yard shots with TSS...who cares?...a dead turkey is a dead turkey....right?

Obviously I'm being sarcastic but it does beg the question...where is the line drawn? Who determines whats ethical?

Its seems like letting everyone determine themselves whats fair chase and whats ethical could be a risky path to go down.

I'd love for the Unit L food plot private land owner guys come over to SE Tennessee and hunt public land. I know you know what I am talking about. South Cherokee is the real deal.
Most would probably quit hunting. In 2017 I moved to east TN. I grew up hunting in coffee and Franklin counties. Unit L. What a shocker that was. I went from seeing deer everytime I went hunting to hopefully seeing 2 or 3 deer a season. Luckily I've been able to scratch out a decent buck here and there on South Cherokee. I've also had to pass a shooter buck or two because I didn't want or have the time to pack the meat out. There's been times I've found the perfect ambush site. Funnels with rubs scrapes so fresh you can still smell the buck. But then turn around and look towards the truck and say there's no possible way to get a buck out of here without taking a couple days to pack him out.

Last edited:
The point I am trying to make is the ultimate goal is to attract wildlife. Food plots are used to attract deer. Am I wrong?
I am sure for some you are correct. For me personally, I plant them to provide a late season food source for the deer already using my property, not to attract more deer or to hunt over, they get used the most at night and after season.

Food plots can attract deer. Not necessarily every day, but that is a possibility.

Here is what attracts deer most consistently...the LEAST factor.

When something is available in a deers home range (usually less than a square mile in the Southeast, and that something is available in the "least" amount (think a lush plum tree in the middle of an old apple orchard), that food source could and probably will be an extremely reliable spot to see high activity in deer.

Sometimes its a white oak acorn that is dropping sweet foods deer love.
Sometimes its a persimmon.
Sometimes its a food plot in winter.
sometimes its legal bait (or illegal)

But also it may be water, cover, something man made like garbage or a salt lick where salt was used for purpose other than attracting wildlife.

One of the things I enjoy most about hunting is the challenge of figuring out a new area. And asking the question, "why did or is that deer doing that"?

Because once you know why, pieces of the "where do I set up" puzzle start falling into place!

I fault no hunter for following the rules. Hunt legally, ethically, and respectfully. Help one another out.

We are all AMERICANS (I hope). We have MUCH bigger things to be concerned about than a deer.

Food plots feed year around.
Not just that, but they typically provide a more diverse source of deer foods (nutrients often more important to herd health than just the carbohydrates found in corn).

Food plots also add diversity to habitat, often providing fawning cover for deer, nesting/poulting/feeding cover for birds (like quail & turkey).

Speaking of "cover", there is zero cover around a corn feeder, and all wildlife using that "spot" experience a much higher rate of being preyed upon than does wildlife using field or food plot.

Anytime wildlife is more concentrated feeding in a single spot, predators are quick to note that spot. Coyotes, bobcats, and raptors learn to just "camp out" continuously near a wildlife feeder. And guess which deer are the most vulnerable to their predation? Button bucks, the very deer many hunters placing feeders would most want to survive?

We talk much about the disease issue, and especially the aflatoxin poison that's so deadly to birds. But truth is, more turkeys & birds may be lost due to increased predation, as a direct result of feeders.

People feed deer (corn piles) when it's needed the least and quit feeding when it's needed the most.
This is particularly the case with "corn piles", but not always the case with permanent stationary "feeders". Some people do feed protein sources (such as soybeans) in their feeders. Just rarely diverse like what Mother Nature can grow, and still concentrates wildlife to a small "spot", rather than their being spread out "browsing" over a larger area.

Last edited:
Not just that, but they typically provide a more diverse source of deer foods (nutrients often more important to herd health than just the carbohydrates found in corn).

Food plots also add diversity to habitat, often providing fawning cover for deer, nesting/poulting/feeding cover for birds (like quail & turkey).

Speaking of "cover", there is zero cover around a corn feeder, and all wildlife using that "spot" experience a much higher rate of being preyed upon than does wildlife using field or food plot.

Anytime wildlife is more concentrated feeding in a single spot, predators are quick to note that spot. Coyotes, bobcats, and raptors learn to just "camp out" continuously near a wildlife feeder. And guess which deer are the most vulnerable to their predation? Button bucks, the very deer many hunters placing feeders would most want to survive?

We talk much about the disease issue, and especially the aflatoxin poison that's so deadly to birds. But truth is, more turkeys & birds may be lost due to increased predation, as a direct result of feeders.

This is particularly the case with "corn piles", but not always the case with permanent stationary "feeders". Some people do feed protein sources (such as soybeans) in their feeders. Just rarely diverse like what Mother Nature can grow, and still concentrates wildlife to a small "spot", rather than their being spread out "browsing" over a larger area.
Lots of posts of the food plotters defending planting plots to most of us that don't care either way. If it's legal knock yourself out. I get it with the big plots, but a kill plot that is planted to draw deer into the open for a kill is baiting no matter how you spin it.

I get it with the big plots, but a kill plot that is planted to draw deer into the open for a kill is baiting no matter how you spin it.
I'm not saying differently, regarding a SMALL "kill" plot,
albeit a small plot has less overall negatives than a SMALL "kill" corn pile spot.
Big difference between a relatively large plot & a relatively small spot.

Typical small "kill" plot, even if only 1/4 acre is 35 yards x 35 yards (1,225 square yards).
Typical corn pile spot is less than 1 square yard?
Especially from predation & disease-spreading standpoints, these are huge differences.

Just saying I and many others have lots of small food plots that we placed primarily to enhance the habitat & food sources, which is NEVER the case with a corn pile. It's easy to assume that all food plots were placed to draw deer to the gun, but that may more often not be the case.

I'm not saying differently, regarding a SMALL "kill" plot,
albeit a small plot has less overall negatives than a SMALL "kill" corn pile spot.
Big difference between a relatively large plot & a relatively small spot.

Typical small "kill" plot, even if only 1/4 acre is 35 yards x 35 yards (1,225 square yards).
Typical corn pile spot is less than 1 square yard?
Especially from predation & disease-spreading standpoints, these are huge differences.

Just saying I and many others have lots of small food plots that we placed primarily to enhance the habitat & food sources, which is NEVER the case with a corn pile. It's easy to assume that all food plots were placed to draw deer to the gun, but that may more often not be the case.
Don't say more often not be the case when almost every food plot I've seen including on this website has a shooting house, blind, ladder stand, etc. setup adjacent to the food plot. We are on the same team guys. We are hunters. Hunt legally. But don't piss down my back and tell me it is raining.

Most would probably quit hunting. In 2017 I moved to east TN. I grew up hunting in coffee and Franklin counties. Unit L. What a shocker that was. I went from seeing deer everytime I went hunting to hopefully seeing 2 or 3 deer a season. Luckily I've been able to scratch out a decent buck here and there on South Cherokee. I've also had to pass a shooter buck or two because I didn't want or have the time to pack the meat out. There's been times I've found the perfect ambush site. Funnels with rubs scrapes so fresh you can still smell the buck. But then turn around and look towards the truck and say there's no possible way to get a buck out of here without taking a couple days to pack him out.
I did quit hunting Tennessee since I sold my unit L property. I now hunt public land in Pennsylvania with my 2 sons who live there. I've packed deer out before in my past. I have lost the desire. Physically and mentally. Unit L ruined me for life! I could drive my Grizzly 700 either right up to the deer or close enough to wrap a 100 foot rope around its neck and drag it all the way back to my truck. Hoist it with a hitch mounted gambrel and have it deboned and on ice in less than two hours. I had a system down!!

Never needed food plots. Plenty of natural food. Deer seeked my property for safety. I was the only one that hunted it. When the shooting started they headed my way!

I did quit hunting Tennessee since I sold my unit L property. I now hunt public land in Pennsylvania with my 2 sons who live there. I've packed deer out before in my past. I have lost the desire. Physically and mentally. Unit L ruined me for life! I could drive my Grizzly 700 either right up to the deer or close enough to wrap a 100 foot rope around its neck and drag it all the way back to my truck. Hoist it with a hitch mounted gambrel and have it deboned and on ice in less than two hours. I had a system down!!

Never needed food plots. Plenty of natural food. Deer seeked my property for safety. I was the only one that hunted it. When the shooting started they headed my way!
Sounds like you had it made!

Don't say more often not be the case when almost every food plot I've seen including on this website has a shooting house, blind, ladder stand, etc. setup adjacent to the food plot.
Just to be clear, I have no problem with anyone hunting over a field, over a food plot, in the woods, wherever.

Just trying to point out there are many differences between a 1,000-square-foot or larger food plot/field and a 1-square-yard corn pile "spot". And these difference are not relevant to whether or not deer is shot in the field or shot at the corn pile.

There is also a difference between hunting & shooting, although it may often be a gray area as to where the lines are drawn.

We are on the same team guys. We are hunters. Hunt legally.
I believe we are, too.
Doesn't mean we can't debate all the above issues,
including what should or should not be legal, and why or why not.

I would hate to think some day most new hunters were just led to believe hunting was pouring out a bag of corn, then shooting a deer. I'd rather see the next generation learning more in a better balance about woodsmanship, hunting, and shooting.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with anyone hunting over a field, over a food plot, in the woods, wherever.

Just trying to point out there are many differences between a 1,000-square-foot or larger food plot/field and a 1-square-yard corn pile "spot". And these difference are not relevant to whether or not deer is shot in the field or shot at the corn pile.

There is also a difference between hunting & shooting, although it may often be a gray area as to where the lines are drawn.

I believe we are, too.
Doesn't mean we can't debate all the above issues,
including what should or should not be legal, and why or why not.

I would hate to think some day most new hunters were just led to believe hunting was pouring out a bag of corn, then shooting a deer. I'd rather see the next generation learning more in a better balance about woodsmanship, hunting, and shooting.
Hopefully the new generation of hunters aren't learning from TV hunting shows. Ambushing deer from blinds and stands in food plots is not the way to learn. Wearing out a pair of boots is the way you learn.

Latest posts

Back