• Help Support TNDeer:

Best bait for trout

Re: Best bait for trout

It was the grinch today and only gave up 4 fish. Started out in the weir pool right after they shut off the generators. I was going to move down to Miller's after the water dropped, but issues at work forced me back to the office. 1 dink brook, 1 stocker rainbow, 2 slot fish.

Minnows is my go to bait
42d34afa0e6e84be2f5b8a71ddccd6ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fished for stockers a few times. Corn on a weightless hook always worked for me.

Sent from this smart thingamajig using tapatalk.

Honestly, with my very limited experience in fishing for trout, the most productive bait I have ever seen / used is a night crawler on a weightless hook.

Amazing really.

I have several different color Roostertail spinners and depending on what they hit with them if I go to natural bait I will try to match the color. Salmon Eggs, Powerbait and worms are my favorite go to's. All drifted freeweight or with one or two light splitshot if current is heavy. Casted upriver and drifted into the hole I am targeting.

Best bait for trout

Pink salmon eggs are my go to. They work better than corn for me. The hook color seems to be the difference maker when using them. Some days they prefer gold while other days the prefer the red hooks. Also, GOLD cleos are where it's at for the clinch. Not as good as salmon eggs but they still work great. On the Clinch, they seem to love the gold color. If they aren't hitting on the gold cleos and the water is really pumping try some larger rooster tails. White and chartreuse has worked for me in the past. Good luck

Try a Panther Martin 4PMRG, is 1/8 oz(best for me, like to troll this in lakes). Works in lakes and streams here in CO. Should work in TN too. I have also used a Rooster Tail in Arkansas with good luck. I used Super Dupers and Castmasters in CA, worked well.
For actual bait, pink power bait, worms and salmon eggs. About two weeks ago, I caught a couple nice trout on a small jig tipped with a meal worm. The ice was 20 inches thick. Stayed comfortable sitting in a lounge chair dressed to the hilt. Ray

Fishin the Clinch can be very rewarding or very frustrating. I love to float it in a canoe when there is no generation my go to then is rooster tails. Bank fishing I use a combo of night crawlers,power bait,corn,magnets,roostertails and even count down rappys. I have a cousin that all he will use is top water lures. One of the things that I found helps me is a decent pair of shades. And no I cant afford them high dollar Cost-to much for me to buy and break or loose.

For stockers and wild trout I have found that a half of a night crawler on 4 or 6 pd green colored line with just enough weight to keep it bouncing along the bottom works best. The secrect is use as light a pound line as you can get by with and in a nuetral color. Also you want the worm bouncing along the bottom, so use as little weight as possible.

Ok me and dad stopped by wal Mart today on 02/23 and I found a few hooks that was on sale for .50 a pack I a pack of size 12,10, and a pack of size 8 gold hooks and a jar of pink uv salmon eggs marked down to 2.98 a and 2 of the Joe's flys. I got everything under 10 bucks with tax . I was one happy fellow when I found the mark down stuff on the bottom self under the fishing rods lol. I be making a other tip after I find a few more side jobs to do.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

pledbetter":e7jk2cyu said:
Joe's Flies

I had to look that one up, and was pretty amazed at what I found.

Back in 1973, a fishing buddy and I met a guy from PA on the Little T. He didn't know where to go and was having a tough time, so we helped him out a little. He said he was the owner of a company making some lures, and gave us a handful to try. They caught the dickens out of trout on the Little T.

I don't know if it is the same company after that many years, but it is the same spinner/fly combo with the little treble stinger hook.

Talk about memories.

scn":238mg0ni said:
pledbetter":238mg0ni said:
Joe's Flies

I had to look that one up, and was pretty amazed at what I found.

Back in 1973, a fishing buddy and I met a guy from PA on the Little T. He didn't know where to go and was having a tough time, so we helped him out a little. He said he was the owner of a company making some lures, and gave us a handful to try. They caught the dickens out of trout on the Little T.

I don't know if it is the same company after that many years, but it is the same spinner/fly combo with the little treble stinger hook.

Talk about memories.

Now that's pretty neat
All i know is they catch fish.

I grew up fishing for trout in PA and our go to bait when lake fishing was Velveeta cheese molded onto a small treble hook. We would keep the cheese in a jar in a cooler with ice to keep it firm. The cheese was just about everyone's go to bait.
When fishing the bigger streams we would use small rooster tail spinners. Colors depended on the trouts mood at the time.

Latest posts

Back