• Help Support TNDeer:

Best reel for deep cranking

scn

After being off the lakes for several years while spending most of my fishing time fly fishing for trout and some saltwater species, I am looking forward to spending a little time on KY Lake this spring and summer. Most of my bait casting gear is 15+ years old, and I'm sure that technology has improved during that time. I took advantage of the bass pro sales this weekend to upgrade with a couple of outfits.

But, I still want a deep cranking outfit with a low gear/retrieve ratio. I think I have a good rod coming, so I'm basically down to the reel

Any input on a good cranking reel that won't totally break the bank?

I use high speed Reels for everything but have a lot of fishing buddy's/partners that love the lews Reels for cranking. They have several 5:1.1 models in most every price range. If you're not into low profile Reels it's hard to beat a Calcutta. A good cranking rod is much more important than the reel imo.

scn":k3mqvkkz said:
After being off the lakes for several years while spending most of my fishing time fly fishing for trout and some saltwater species, I am looking forward to spending a little time on KY Lake this spring and summer. Most of my bait casting gear is 15+ years old, and I'm sure that technology has improved during that time. I took advantage of the bass pro sales this weekend to upgrade with a couple of outfits.

But, I still want a deep cranking outfit with a low gear/retrieve ratio. I think I have a good rod coming, so I'm basically down to the reel

Any input on a good cranking reel that won't totally break the bank?

Abu Garcia revo winch was designed for deep cranking. Lew's BB1 is a good one in low ratio

Abu makes an orra winch also and is a little cheaper, or The pro qualifier has a 5:2.1 and they're $50 at bass pro sometime during the spring fishing deal. The PQ might be the best budget reel I've ever fished. If casting distance is something you're concerned with the lews or a daiwa with the t-wing system will out cast any other reel I own by quite a bit.

5:1 isn't low geared in my opinion. My 2 cranking reels are older Quantums with 3.8:1 gears. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore and my Quantum factory authorized repair guy can't get parts for them anymore. I'm not sure what I'll get when they bite the dust.

I have been fishing with deep crankbaits for close to 30 years. IMO, the faster the reel the better. All of my baitcasters are round ambassadeurs with 6.3:1 retrieves and I can throw a crankbait (my favorite line for that type fishing is 16 lb magnathin) the proverbial mile and get it down deep and keep it there well.

Ive owned Curados, Calcuttas, and Lews in 5:1... all great choices but I find myself favoring the Lews. Every one I've owned has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lew's Tournament Lite is the best casting reel for the money. They are on sale at Cabelas for $70 off. I bought 1 and liked it so much I ended up buying 3 more. Super light and so easy to cast. By far the best casting baitcaster I've used.

Prowler":1zn9h9n6 said:
If casting distance is something you're concerned with the lews or a daiwa with the t-wing system will out cast any other reel I own by quite a bit.
Yes, SCN, I know you're not asking about casting distance, but especially considering the newer reels, you might be able to kinda have that as a bonus. Note how many are thinking the opposite regarding gear ratios for deep cranking, possibly due to the newer reels being smoother and easier even with high ratios.

Anyway, this particular reel WAS on sale, but I see it's not now. Read the reviews.
Available in 2 different gear ratios.
Cabela's Arachnid (made by Daiwa):
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ ... type%3DGNU

I have both a Abu winch and the BB1 for cranking. I like both but give the edge to the Abu winch. Casts a mile and I can use it all day cranking a 6xd.

Personally, I think my primary focus on deep cranking is casting distance. second is ratio. I have have all makes of baitcasters and I don't buy expensive ones. I like the little green BPS extremes and I have 4 that are going on 6 years now. But, I have a little red pflueger (echelon maybe?) that will throw a plug a country mile, thats what I deep crank with. Whatever reel you can throw the farthest gives you a better advantage by keeping the lure on the bottom for more time.

Latest posts

Back