• Help Support TNDeer:

Beyond Excited

Small pool sample but 3 deer shot with 6.5 prc. Terrible tracking jobs. 2 found 1 not. The 2 found shot exactly where I put it. 7/08 I've shot a bunch with it. Can't remember ever tracking one of them. Like I said just personal experience. I prolly could keep trying things with the prc and find something that works but I'm getting old and I 100 per cent know what the 7/08 does. So that's why I picked 7/08.
You could put sorry bullets in the 7-08 and leave disappointed as well. Like you I would probably move on, but it would be in my bullet choice.

Either way, congrats on your new rifle. Regardless of the reason, new rifles are always fun to tinker with. Post some pictures when you get it.

Hard bullets and whitetail aren't a good combo. I think most people buy monos because they think they cost more so they kill better, and they don't unless you're after big stuff or you're breaking bones. One thing I've found is a lot of hunters don't know deer anatomy and are terrified of a deers shoulder blade so they shoot them mid ribs rear lung and liver, the deer runs, and the cartridge used is junk. You may have center punched both shoulders, but I doubt it.

The 2 you found, rib shots?

I used a 140 Accubond left over from my elk hunt in my 708 last year on a huge old doe. Put it right where I wanted it and she ran quite a ways with zero blood, not a drop.

Know what that tells me? Use a softer bullet.

139 BTSP is up to bat year.

The 708 is never a bad choice. You will certainly enjoy it

You could put sorry bullets in the 7-08 and leave disappointed as well. Like you I would probably move on, but it would be in my bullet choice.

Either way, congrats on your new rifle. Regardless of the reason, new rifles are always fun to tinker with. Post some pictures when you get it.
I guess I don't understand the science. Those same bullets are awesome in the 7/08.

Congratulations on the new rifle! Always a ton of fun and exciting

Hey regardless of caliber you choose, having the caliber you want and a gun you love…. simply hard to beat!

DA shared a load on here many times for the 7-08 Since using that load my daughter has hammered them all dead in their tracks. We have not tracked a one. Even a perfect double lung shot on a doe, sent her straight down. Like they deer swallowed a grenade lol

Hard bullets and whitetail aren't a good combo. I think most people buy monos because they think they cost more so they kill better, and they don't unless you're after big stuff or you're breaking bones. One thing I've found is a lot of hunters don't know deer anatomy and are terrified of a deers shoulder blade so they shoot them mid ribs rear lung and liver, the deer runs, and the cartridge used is junk. You may have center punched both shoulders, but I doubt it.

The 2 you found, rib shots?

I used a 140 Accubond left over from my elk hunt in my 708 last year on a huge old doe. Put it right where I wanted it and she ran quite a ways with zero blood, not a drop.

Know what that tells me? Use a softer bullet.

139 BTSP is up to bat year.

The 708 is never a bad choice. You will certainly enjoy it
The accubond is my choice of bullet out of any caliber

They're great bullets, just not one I'll probably use again on whitetails.

Top to bottom my favorite whitetail bullet is the Nosler ballistic tip. They have done more damage, left better blood trails if needed and I've never had one not exit. They're typically my first choice for the rifles I hunt with.

With NABs I have almost always gotten an exit wound, thus great bloodtrail, but also devastating expansion. Most often I get a bang-flop. Seems to be the perfect balance to me.

In full disclosure I had some bad experiences with some of the earlier NBTs which soured me on them for decades but I'm now warming back up to them for cartridges with velocities under 2800 fps like a 308

With NABs I have almost always gotten an exit wound, thus great bloodtrail, but also devastating expansion. Most often I get a bang-flop. Seems to be the perfect balance to me.

In full disclosure I had some bad experiences with some of the earlier NBTs which soured me on them for decades but I'm now warming back up to them for cartridges with velocities under 2800 fps like a 308

Nothing I hunt with breaks 2800fps at the muzzle except my 243 and my 708 with 120's.

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html

Some bullet and caliber info near the bottom. An interesting read

They're great bullets, just not one I'll probably use again on whitetails.

Top to bottom my favorite whitetail bullet is the Nosler ballistic tip. They have done more damage, left better blood trails if needed and I've never had one not exit. They're typically my first choice for the rifles I hunt with.
I never had good experience with the ballistic tips.

I've never had one not work. What were your issues and what cartridges?
Now granted it was the first year of ballistic tips. My buddy bought some. We used them that year and basically every deer we shot was a chore of a track job. I have never tried them since then. About that time I bought a model 7 7/08 and started using partitions. Basically used that until I started using Barnes ttsx. Both performed amazing. Then I got the 6.5 last year and same bullets just not same results. I'm sure they are fine. Just something with me was not right for me.

Yep the NAB has always left me Fantastic blood trails. I'm really starting to like the long range accubonds and their performance as well.

Now granted it was the first year of ballistic tips. My buddy bought some. We used them that year and basically every deer we shot was a chore of a track job. I have never tried them since then. About that time I bought a model 7 7/08 and started using partitions. Basically used that until I started using Barnes ttsx. Both performed amazing. Then I got the 6.5 last year and same bullets just not same results. I'm sure they are fine. Just something with me was not right for me.

Early ones were soft. New versions have beef toughened up. An example is the .308" 168 NBT, in tests I've seen it will hang right with the .308 200gr Accubond for penetration.

I've used them on deer in 6mm 95gr, 6.5mm 120gr, 7mm 120gr and 140gr, .308" 165grand 180gr. A friend uses the .308" 125gr religiously and all have been excellent.

It's here. I ordered a scope. Could not make myself take the one off the 6.5. Initial thoughts wish id waited and got steel barrel but we will see how it shoots and go from there.

Attachments

• IMG_8007.webp
    IMG_8007.webp
    244.7 KB · Views: 1
The 7-08 is a pretty good choice.

After all, not many calibers get a Special Nod from Mr. Nosler.

Blue_Tips.webp

A few of the more jaded may thing this is a dig at Mr. Barnes but, shoot, who cares? Flying fast and straight and looking super.

It's here. I ordered a scope. Could not make myself take the one off the 6.5. Initial thoughts wish id waited and got steel barrel but we will see how it shoots and go from there.
For a hunter, the carbon barrel is a no-brainer. The downside to the carbon barrel is poi changes after firing more than a few shots. A hunter really only needs one shot and a backup or two.

Latest posts

Back