• Help Support TNDeer:

Bow Hunting From the Ground?

UTGrad

I've been a committed tree stand hunter with a bow for years. One thing I've never accomplished was killing one with a compound bow from the ground.

Once the leaves fall, I stick out pretty bad in the stand and got busted a few times in the tree. I think I could conceal myself better on the ground in a thicker or blow down.

Anyone bow hunting them from the ground? I can imagine it would be very convenient to simply walk in, hunt and walk out.

I do all the time.

I haven't bow hunted from the ground in several years. I killed one good deer and a couple does. I wouldnt do it unless I had to now. Cover and more cover. If you go the ground blind route big time brushed in. I did it out of natural blinds usually in blow downs. It's just as convenient to walk in climb up and climb down. Bow hunting will humble you, bow hunting from the ground will humble the sh** out of you, especially on mature deer.

It can be done. But be warned. It might very well ruin you on rifle hunting. After you experience being inside bow range, on the ground with a mature buck as he comes in searching for the source of that grunt tube, it's hard to enjoy sitting in a blind with a rifle from 200yds away waiting for one to walk out. Hunting with a bow on the ground is up close interactive predator vs prey.

I'm not knocking rifle blind hunting. I do it from time to time myself. I've killed some wall hangers that way. But not one had me even remotely as excited as a buck with bow from the ground.

I do all the time.

Tree seat is the best thing ever invented

I killed a doe off the ground this last oct on public with my compound. It was just a weird situation that I got lucky on and happened to come out on top.

It was 10:45a and warming up and I had heard a few deer blow when I was setting up but they never came in. I hadnt seen anything all morning and got down thinking my hunt was over. I had my climber on my back and went to scout a loop to see if I could find a better spot for later.

As I was walking I saw a deer walking my way. I quickly dropped to my knees and had my stand angled toward the deer and was hiding my face behind my stand that was still on my back. I saw them before they saw me so I thought I had a chance! I wanted to drop my stand but it was gonna be too much movement and the lead doe was already inside bow range. so I had to leave it on my shoulders. My release was tucked into my sleeve and all my arrows were in my quiver. I freed my release and nocked an arrow. I had to leave my quiver on my bow and leave my stand on my back. There were 3 does ducks in a row coming past me. The first one was moving at a decent clip but never saw me. The second doe saw me but couldn't tell what I was and looked nervously at me but instead of lock stomp and blow, she turned to follow the lead doe. That's when I drew the bow back. When she stopped a second time to look at me, I saw I had an open shot, guessed the range and let the arrow fly.

I was on my knees, stand and fanny pack on my shoulders, quiver and arrows on my bow guessed 30 yards and made the shot! There was a lot of luck involved, and definitely not how you'd draw up a hunt but if you can hide behind a tree and use cover it can work.

I'd rather be in a tree with plenty of cover. In the wmas that I hunt I rarely see bucks or bachelor groups until late october or november. Not saying they aren't there, I just only encounter does and very small bucks till late october.

I definitely wouldnt set my goals on only shooting mature deer from the ground with a compound. I'd want to gain confidence and go through the learning curve with obtainable progressive goals.

I consider all deer I get a blessing, especially with archery equipment.

I go through phases where I feel like doing it, sometimes. Mainly, in the early season when I'm hunting food sources and have a chance to observe the deer feeding before deciding if it's one I want to shoot or not. During the rut, I struggle with making a split second decision on whether or not a buck meets my self-imposed criteria for being a shooter. I err on the side of caution and will pass, only to see it walking up the next ridge and I'm kicking myself for not shooting. The little bit of time and viewing angle a tree stand gives me makes all the difference in the world for helping me make quick decisions. If I just wanted to kill deer, I'd be a ground pounder. But, for what I'm wanting to do, I'll be in a tree stand for the rut.

I've hunted the ground with a bow a lot. I still do if hunting public. The private land I have hunted the last few years is pretty hilly, so visibility is pretty poor on the ground . On that land I have a few ladder stands I use more often. I do hunt the ground there also, but I use stands more often.

Once, I watched a buck make a scrape on a field edge while ground hunting with a crossbow. I bleated at him and he stared my direction for a few seconds. Then he continued to work the scrape. When he got done, he headed right to me. I didn't want to shoot him head on, so I kept waiting for him to turn. Meanwhile he kept walking straight toward me. He finally turned and I shot him. He was about 15 feet away when I shot. That was pretty exciting. Here is a pic of him.

1720907570264.jpeg

I've hunted the ground with a bow a lot. I still do if hunting public. The private land I have hunted the last few years is pretty hilly, so visibility is pretty poor on the ground . On that land I have a few ladder stands I use more often. I do hunt the ground there also, but I use stands more often.

Once, I watched a buck make a scrape on a field edge while ground hunting with a crossbow. I bleated at him and he stared my direction for a few seconds. Then he continued to work the scrape. When he got done, he headed right to me. I didn't want to shoot him head on, so I kept waiting for him to turn. Meanwhile he kept walking straight toward me. He finally turned and I shot him. He was about 15 feet away when I shot. That was pretty exciting. Here is a pic of him.

View attachment 234653
That is a good looking buck.

It can be done. But be warned. It might very well ruin you on rifle hunting. After you experience being inside bow range, on the ground with a mature buck as he comes in searching for the source of that grunt tube, it's hard to enjoy sitting in a blind with a rifle from 200yds away waiting for one to walk out. Hunting with a bow on the ground is up close interactive predator vs prey.
Good, because I've never done that!

Good, because I've never done that!

I sure have and will again without hesitation. It has its place same as everything else. Many a frigid, windy, wet December mornings I've been happy to have the option.

Also for hunting over a big food source like a 20acre cut corn field, it's a great option. But in thick woods, stream bottoms, steep terrain hardwoods, it's probably not applicable.

My statement was more about the excitement than the style. Nothing beats the adrenaline rush of having a rutting buck just feet away with nothing preventing him from charging. Heck even being that close to a yearling doe without being noticed is a rush. Bow hunting from the ground is just flat out exciting. And it's difficult. I do hunt several other ways and always will depending on situation, but bow hunting from the ground is far and above my favorite.

Here you go.

Latest posts

Back