• Help Support TNDeer:

BSK and others. What in doe urine tells a buck she

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
In many cases with deer (all members of the family, I suspect), one sense often requires confirmation by another sense. An example would be, a deer hears you step on a stick. Before it flees, it may try to see or smell you.

To use that in the context we are discussing, a buck sees what appears to be a "hot" doe. He may very likely move to a downwind position to confirm what he thinks he sees. Keep that in mind the next time you see what you think may be a "hot" doe. Pay close attention to the downwind area.

redblood said:
OK. I agree then. i remember taken a graduate level animal science class and the teacher said that females riding other females when one was in estrous was not from confusion or play, but rather a visable cue to the dominant male that a female was receptive for breeding. I have witnessed this in deer as well, unfortunately without a dominant male responding to the cue. Thoughts?

That's an idea I handn't heard before, but anything is possible.

Generally, in mammals, one animal mounting another is a dominance display. The mounting animal is telling the other they are dominant over them. Bucks will do this to each other, especially in summer.

redblood said:
BSK said:
redblood said:
but are you saying that the visual aspect of sexual attraction in deer is stronger than the olfactory aspect?

NO!!! Bucks that were allowed to choose does using just their sense of smell (totally black-dark conditions--the bucks could not see the does but air was being blown over the does to the buck) got the estrus choice right virtually every time. The ability of bucks to choose estus over non-estrus does only by sight was just an interesting and unexpected finding.

The nose is always going to be #1, but it isn't the only sense they use.

OK. I agree then. i remember taken a graduate level animal science class and the teacher said that females riding other females when one was in estrous was not from confusion or play, but rather a visable cue to the dominant male that a female was receptive for breeding. I have witnessed this in deer as well, unfortunately without a dominant male responding to the cue. Thoughts?

i have seen this same behavior in cattle. such as one heifer mounting another heifer when she was in heat.

and all this time, I thought it was chanel #5....

seriously though, what does this say about the doe in heat urine industry?

is this stuff really coming from does after it passes by that special place or coming straight out of the bladder....?

and another thought, if deer are not allowed to interact naturally, will this urine have the same KICK, even though it is collected properly. I guess my question is this....if you take away the WILD aspect of estrus, will the doe urine smell the same as it does in the wild?

thanks

Latest posts

Back